Manxter build questions

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
papya

Manxter build questions

Post by papya »

Greetings,
I am in the process of building my Manxter 2+2. Using a '69 pan, all rebuilt with all new bearings, bushings, disc brakes all around, dropped spindles. At this time I am going to use the attached 1600 DP vintage '73 that came with the car. Maybe buy a 1776 later.
Sold the old bug body last week and am excited to get going.

Have a few questions for those who have built their own Manxter.

Where did you hide (or not) the wiring harness?
What steering column did you use?
Did you use a shortened filler for the gas tank and just open the front cover to fill?
Any recommendations to hints for this build are appreciated!

Thanks Brian
The wife says "He works on cars, it's cheaper than other women and she knows where I am at night"
Pajero

Re: Manxter build questions

Post by Pajero »

I ran the harness thru the left side bar.
I used the tank shown on the Meyers Manx site.
I used a modified 69 and Super Beetle column. This is the wifes Classic, which is essentially the same as the Manxter...

My best suggestion is to not work ahead. For example, don't lay out and drill the dash until the tub and column is in.
Measure 5 times before any cutting or drilling.
papya

Post by papya »

Pajero, Thanks for the reply. I don't see much activity on this forum. Mostly old threads. I wonder if anyone else is just beginning a build.
Brian
The wife says "He works on cars, it's cheaper than other women and she knows where I am at night"
Pajero

Post by Pajero »

Most people just do the Facebook page these days.
papya

Post by papya »

OK I'll go there. Thanks
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

Unfortunately, there are not many people on here anymore. The information is better and easier to sort through than on Facebook.

The wiring harness can be run along the side impact bar to the back.

The stock 69 steering column works well. The super beetle column is good and is self supported with a u-joint connection on the end. Both columns have the ignition switch and locking steering. The super beetle column also has the wiper switch on it and the Manxter uses the super beetle wiper, so you can use the factory wiring to simplify.

The later stock gas tank with the fill at the upper passenger corner works well with a 90 degree fitting and a gas cap. You need to open the hood to fill.

Keep posting any question you have on here, the people that check in here are pretty knowledgeable, it may just take a little longer to get an answer.

Also, start a build thread with a few pictures.

Good luck on your build.

Jon
papya

Post by papya »

Jon, Thanks a lot. I'm used to the Corvette forum, and the Montana owners forum both of which are very active.
I will keep posting here and maybe it will liven up.

Your comments are appreciated. I am just ordering the body next week. I will start a thread on the build soon.

Brian
Pajero

Post by Pajero »

papya wrote:OK I'll go there. Thanks
There are still a couple good build threads here for reference. But FB is a good place to go to get quicker answers.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Excited to see your build come together, you now know where to find me. The Red Manxter that was here when you came by is back in Ventura but he is very accessible.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
papya

Post by papya »

Thanks again. Mike.
Picked up a New Powerhaus 1914 long block yesterday. Ordered dual Weber IDF carbs. Woohoo!