Manxter 2+2 EJ255 2.5lt DOHC Turbo

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
Bluefish

Manxter 2+2 EJ255 2.5lt DOHC Turbo

Post by Bluefish »

Hi All - this is my first post and trying to learn a few things about building a manxter

I am currently ripping into a Subaru WRX 2007 (10/07) wreck and have the transmission (5 spd manual) and motor out. Also removed seats both axles, tailshaft and now onto instrument panel. I am keen to utilise as many WRX parts as possible in my build (determining what I need from the wreck is currently on the table)

As I strip the car - I often go to the motor on the stand and wonder what exhaust system can be utilised???
My exhaust post turbo is on the LHS rear of motor looking at it. I know a cat converter, o2 sensor and muffler needs to be put in - but what setup has others done here. Not found any info on here that stands out - but whilst I strip the car, and move onto the chassis (before ordering a kit) trying to determine what room I have to work with around the engine

Any help would be appreciated

cheers
Tom-Kathleen

Re: Manxter 2+2 EJ255 2.5lt DOHC Turbo

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

I can't tell where you live, but with engine help, call these guys - https://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/ . For help with the transaxle, cal this guy - http://www.subarugears.com/ . They can set you straight and they are great to deal with. Tom
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Welcome,
There are a few of the 2+2 DOHC turbo's out there, mine is a SOHC 2.5 N/A in a Dual Sport(body & chassis lift) so I have a ton of room and is not comparable. I'm running the Subarugears reversed 5 speed and have logged over 27,000 miles(yes that is the correct amount of zero's) since April 2017 and we love the package.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

There have been a few EJ255 Manxters so you'll be able to draw from experienced owners for sure. We shoehorned an FA20T (from a 2015 WRX) in the back of our Manxter with the same 5SP from Subarugears that Mike (Manxvair) mentioned in the previous reply. It was a very tight fit...

You'll want to research about flipping the intake to avoid having to cut the body... Tom is correct, Outfront Motorsport and SubaruGears are your friends...
Bluefish

Post by Bluefish »

Thanks Gents
I am in Bells Beach Victoria Australia.
I did hear about flipping the turbo and maybe intakes - but the headers I assume will have to be reconfigured. Unless the L and R are interchangeable but then configure all the other piping and dashpot on the valve etc.

My interferences with the tub and the engine/gearbox is currently the 1) starter motor, 2) Hydraulic Clutch and 3) turbo. Also the gearbox is touching the lower part of the fibreglass about the next radius from the bolt on to the body area. Another 20-25mm would have cleared it, but I may be able to pull back the engine, and gearbox some to make it just fit. It may require a spacer between the shoehorns and subrarugears engine mount dropped or shim down the rubber grommets.

My other issue is that the gear selector tube on the gearbox does not sit ontop of the rear torsion bar. Do you guys push and rubber support it down with the Subarugear mount as I seem to be up some 5-10mm above the torsion tube On Todds pages and other build - I see this much lower. I am thinking that my gear mount needs to be 20mm lower so I may need to make some mods in this area as I have a converted IRS system and needed to weld on the supporting plates for the Subaru transmission mount to attach (lower swing arm body connection). Its been an issue trying to fit the tub - but getting it there

I will get a few pics when back at the project in the next day

Cheers
Aid
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Meyers Manx in America makes a special fiberglass bump to cover the area you need to cut out for the clutch and starter, also if you contact Kory at MM he may be able to help with some of your other hurdles, he has been involved in Manxter Subaru builds.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
TSFR

Post by TSFR »

I have the bump from Meyers Manx for sale as I didnt end up needing it because I have a body lift and flipped the intake which requires a alternator relocation bracket (from outfront)
Thanks,
Jeff TSFR
Bluefish

Post by Bluefish »

Thanks all
I have cut out a considerable amount of the rear tray to fit the water cooled intercooler tube and will place the battery box over the rhs so will almost cut all of the rear tray floor and replace it with a removable shaped piece. The supplied manx bump looks way to small for what I am doing.
Has anyone cut out the rear to fit seat back further? I am wanting to put in foam seats from the wrx but this will reduce the space considerably. Only wish it was a bigger space for bigger people

Can you reverse the intakes on these EJ255???? - I see it to be lot of work if so done