Porsche rims on manxters?

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
vwmanx

Porsche rims on manxters?

Post by vwmanx »

All,
I am looking for photos of Manxters that have the Porsche 5x130 bolt pattern (911, 924,944 etc) rims . I am considering changing over to Porsche aluminum trailing arms and disc brakes...but want to see what people are running before I commit.

Thanks
Chris
Chicago Joe

Re: Porsche rims on manxters?

Post by Chicago Joe »

Chris,

There is no need for the expense of the Porch wheels.

Mine are plain old FORD wheels, and they get the job done quite nicely. Plus I do not worry about damage or theft.

Joe
vwmanx

Post by vwmanx »

Joe,

I have a set of aluminum 944 rear trailing arms/discs/etc...and they are Porsche bolt pattern which is 5x130. Porsche bolt pattern is Porsche only. So my conundrum is to either go to Porsche rear assembly or to stay with my current setup which is 4 lug VW and change the stub axle out to allow the use of the larger CV joints. I will be jacking the front and rear up a bit, replacing the VW engine with a corvair engine and beefing up the transmission. This will require HD CV joints and THING or similar outer stub axles.

I am not CRAZY about the VW four lug options out there nor am I particularly thrilled about the Porsche designs available...but I am trying to make the best of two worlds as reasonably as possible.
Chicago Joe

Post by Chicago Joe »

Chris,

I understand where you are coming from.

I forgot to mention that I have disc brakes on all four wheels, and used no hole rotors that have been drilled & tapped to the FORD wheels - No adapters
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=3793
This a story of Jon and his Manxter running a rally in the Sonoran Desert of Mexico.
Jon has Porsche rims on his buggy. I do believe they are 16in in diameter.

I would not want to run Porch wheels either, they may be to bumpy riding with the square corners :lol:
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
langan

Post by langan »

andygere

Post by andygere »

Here's mine, with Porshe Lobster Fork wheels on custom adapters. It handles like a go cart, but the low profile tires provide a very stiff ride.