The Road to Mexican 1000- Building a Manxter DualSports

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
Brad

Re: The Road to Mexican 1000- Building a Manxter DualSports

Post by Brad »

With the body cut and fitted we could get down to setting up the steering and front end. We are using a set of 4" over front arms and spindles from foddrill, 4 pot front calipers and hubs from Jamar Performance, 10" 2.5 Piggy Backs built by DownSouth Motorsports and a Fortin 2.0 Buggy Power Rack.

The 2.5 shocks will sit on the inside mount as we need to keep them under the body lines. The steering with run Rod ends in double shear on the outer and inner on custom tie rods.

With that all setup we could do full cycle and steering and work on front end braces.

Once happy we added them in

Inside the seat mounts were added, these are custom units to work with the seats we have from PRP and also tie into the floor and be low profile to get us down as low as possible.

Now is time to start welding out. Due to the cage design we need to weld out the primary before we add more additional bracing.

Luckily we can pull it out and roll it around to get into an easy weld position.

We also added some more rear end braces after clocking the box's to where we liked.

Then Paul got to welding, welding and more welding. We decided to Tig weld the entire thing and luckily for me Paul is able to work in places I could never fit.

We then pulled the body again and flipped it over.

Weld weld and more weld

Brad

Post by Brad »

We mounted the Foddrill 2.0 Buggy Rack on the beam using the adjustable bracket we made. This let us position it in the best location for bump steer. Then using a straight edge and markers we managed to get 1/4" at 4' variation through full travel (14") so we are pretty happy with that.

We also finished off the knuckles and get them welded in.

With knuckles in the floor measurements could be taken.

Soon it would be looking like a buggy ..
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Hey Brad, you guys Rock!

I was wondering, has Vegas opened up bets on whether or not you guys make Tech Inspection? ;-)

Speaking of Tech Inspection, how detailed is it? Will they be measuring roll cage thickness and weld penetration?

We're all rooting for you!
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Having been to more than 1 pre-race tech inspection in Mexico, it is more like a 12 pack of ice cold Coronas, and a pitcher of margaritas, with a plate of nachos and dip on the side. It really is like a giant party with a small group of inspectors in the middle looking at the cars
pgrandia

Post by pgrandia »

Brad, Bring teqila. You'll pass... :D
Brad

Post by Brad »

vincent9993 wrote:Hey Brad, you guys Rock!

I was wondering, has Vegas opened up bets on whether or not you guys make Tech Inspection? ;-)

Speaking of Tech Inspection, how detailed is it? Will they be measuring roll cage thickness and weld penetration?

We're all rooting for you!

Cheers, not sure never done one in the USA. Not real worried though as all our guys are Weld Cert qualified and everything is done correctly. We have the SCORE and NORRA Rules on the wall and have met everything they want with the exception of having a welded in cross brace. Ours will be bolt in in accordance with rules to allow fitment of the rear seat after the race.

I doubt Vegas would take bets as the house would loose :D
Brad

Post by Brad »

DIESELDOOG wrote:Having been to more than 1 pre-race tech inspection in Mexico, it is more like a 12 pack of ice cold Coronas, and a pitcher of margaritas, with a plate of nachos and dip on the side. It really is like a giant party with a small group of inspectors in the middle looking at the cars

Sweet the other good thing About NORRA is they seem to have Guidelines and not rules as such. It says in many places that YOU are responsible for your car
Brad

Post by Brad »

pgrandia wrote:Brad, Bring teqila. You'll pass... :D
Do people actually drink that stuff ?
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Hey Brad, you guys must be working around the clock in the shop. Ever thought of installing a streaming webcam for us to follow: http://www.ustream.tv/

Or at lease get a time-lapse GoPro setup. Waiting for your next update is harder than waiting for the next episode of the Sopranos (Yes we have re-runs in Canada!) ;-) j/k.

All the best my friends.
Brad

Post by Brad »

Team Tow'd is now in our personnel space :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bgdnBerYpQ[/youtube]
Brad

Post by Brad »

vincent9993 wrote:Hey Brad, you guys must be working around the clock in the shop. Ever thought of installing a streaming webcam for us to follow: http://www.ustream.tv/

Or at lease get a time-lapse GoPro setup. Waiting for your next update is harder than waiting for the next episode of the Sopranos (Yes we have re-runs in Canada!) ;-) j/k.

All the best my friends.

We do have time lapse, IP Sec Camera's and some other stuff but it takes time to edit etc. I have a Media Guy working on it and after the event we will release a more in depth video if we get the urge. All that being said it would be a bit stupid if we have cool pictures and don't make Tech inspection :)
Brad

Post by Brad »

Brad asked me to post a update-Mike
I thought I would post a update on whats is going over at Team DSBE shop. I went over there to visit so I snapped a few photos of the huge progression that has happened over only 1 week
Enjoy :D

Brad

Post by Brad »

we had a few Tow'd distractions to take care of and that kept Paul busy modifying fuel tanks and hooking up brackets. I hate to think about how we did all that before the ArcLight CNC.

Meanwhile I got stuck into making the custom wiring looms. For this conversion we will be retaining the factory ECU so I needed to do a few modifications.

Once done I use the drive car to plug them into and test run then while hooked to the Factory Subaru Brick. Doing this I can ensure everything is good to go and still works as it should.

Once it is done and tested then I box them, seal them and they are good to go. When they go into the car the only interface they have is through a panel mount 12 pin Deutsch connector so they are weather proof and out of the way.

Box's are made in house to suit the Meyers Manx Buggies. They fit in under the rear tray and allow retention of the factory grommets.

One down one to go ..

We also got a delivery in the form of our EJ25 Engines from Chris at SubiWorks. They have been inspected and cleaned up so we know they are health. Now what makes this delivery ever cooler is that fact that due to our time line it was 0100 when they arrived... now that's service getting your engine at 0100 a few days before test and tune, thanks Chris.

We still have to fit the manifold etc once we decide on the cooling systems.
Brad

Post by Brad »

Paint booth is operation and the height variable platform makes it easier to paint all round.

Just need to let it dry, bolt up some bits, build some bits, buy some bits and them hopefully drive some bits

Paint dry got to love SOCAL weather.

Time to get it in, get it built.

Start with the floor ..

We gave it a coat or Armadillo Lining so it didn't rattle like a tin can. I figured since we were doing that we might as well add some quilting :)

Now it looks pretty time to get it bolted on, as you can see from the holes it has a few bolts :)

Damn just realised we ran out of Beer .. better get to the shop so the boys don't stop working ...
Brad

Post by Brad »

vincent9993 wrote: Or at lease get a time-lapse GoPro setup.
Just for you ....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJIuTh3UrJI[/youtube]