The Road to Mexican 1000- Building a Manxter DualSports

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
Brad

Re: The Road to Mexican 1000- Building a Manxter DualSports

Post by Brad »

pgrandia

Post by pgrandia »

Looking Good Brad. I hope you get enough time to test things out before NORRA.
Best of luck to you guys... :D
Brad

Post by Brad »

pgrandia wrote:Looking Good Brad. I hope you get enough time to test things out before NORRA.
Best of luck to you guys... :D
Thanks Pete we will give it our best

With not to long to go we are still soldiering on. We have a lot to do and not much time to do it in so hopefully it will all come together and work out.

The Manxter is still on the lift and Paul is focused on buttoning up as much as possible. I begin the wiring loom tonight so that should be a fun 24hrs of joy.

We have our race stickers in place and will add the sponsors on in the next few days as we button everything up..

The new 14" Jamar Pro X pedals have been mounted and will make sure there is plenty of pedal pressure

The shocks have arrived from Sonny at DownSouth Motorsports. It was great dealing with a guy who had a clue and was very helpful. We are looking forward to shock testing and tune as soon as possible so we can make sure the rates are right and they are performing as best they should.

Paul has finished the custom radiators and we managed to get the same setup to work in both the Tow'd and the Manxter which makes spares better.

vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Hey Brad, it's been 20h since last update... Are you guys out of beer again? Wish I was there to help/live this epic adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
Brad

Post by Brad »

Brad

Post by Brad »

dunno this forum is eating posts ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TCFD7v ... e=youtu.be
pgrandia

Post by pgrandia »

I'm impressed... You Aussies got the hub turning in the right direction. :clap:
I guess you've had enough time above the equator to figure things out. :roll:
I may just pop in to check things out. Great going Brad. :D
Brad

Post by Brad »

pgrandia wrote:I'm impressed... You Aussies got the hub turning in the right direction. :clap:
I guess you've had enough time above the equator to figure things out. :roll:
I may just pop in to check things out. Great going Brad. :D
Yeah it was hard going learning the local lingo and trying to find metric parts instead of that just about right imperial crap :lol:
Brad

Post by Brad »

Days are turning into hours and the boys are still pumping stuff out. The last few hours have been all about the wires and hopefully the Manxter will fire up today some time.

The loom is custom and made in house using stuff from ProWire USA. It all looks so simple when it is sitting there looking after itself.

As I have the buggy here and it is mine to do with what I want I am free handing the loom as it will be a one off. Once I have my wire lengths I cut them out and bundle them.

You will note there is NO electrical tape here only blue panters tape. If you use electrical tape it leaves a residue when you pull it off and that makes it a PITA to get into the heat shrink. By using blue tape you can peel it off as you feed it in. If I get stuck I use baby powder or food frade stick and bake to help get it in.

Wire is a mix or gauges depending on the circuit.

Next I do the dash LayOut, having in house CNC from Arclight it is very easy to play around with different designs until you get one you like. In this case I have added the battery isolater to the dash as I will swap it out after the race but need it accessible in accordance with NORRA for this one.

Panel has the Pash Pro 2 and Motec KeyPad all running through a Motec PDM.

Image Image

Now I get some seat time and hopefully in another 10 hrs of so the loom will be done, tested and installed. It will all be done in DR Heat Shrink and any areas of concern will be dual wall or triple wrapped..
Brad

Post by Brad »

So the loom was finished up on the bench and then off to Delicious Tuning for a once over and to check out the MAP's after doing some learn runs. As we are behind on the time line we tested it in the Tow'd but that is the same setup and engine as the Manxter so it will be close enough.

All the ECU Box's we build are universal and can be swapped in and out if the need arises. They contain all the functions we need and interface through a few panel mount deutsch connectors and then use fly leads to ODB2 etc as needed.

You can view the Map's like any aftermarket ETC and modify as required, that is as long as you are smart enough which the guys at Delicious are :)

Meanwhile back at the shop Paul is still busting ass on the build.

Pedals are all in and bled up, PDM is mounted and I am just trying to find clear slace to get in and hook it up.

Paul has weaved his magic and finished off the RPM Headers with a sweet centre output muffler. The Donaldson power flow is in clear air and easy to swap cartidges should the need arise.

Not much left to do but tick items off the board and hope time left = time needed.

abgiles

Post by abgiles »

They're both looking great! Can't wait to follow you on-line. Maybe one day I can be part of the support group!
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brad

Post by Brad »

Down to hours and no longer counting in days the boys and I were lucky enough to make it out to the desert to do shock test and tune with Sonny from DownSouth Motorsports (http://downsouthmotorsports.com/). It was funny to watch them drive the buggy back and forward and see the look on their face as Sonny did his thing and made the car improve with every run.

End result was 15" a corner of usable travel and taking the woops as a respectable speed. By the end of the day it was well worth it and I can't recommend Sonny enough as his knowledge and explanations have made us all that bit smarter.

The DSBE is starting to take shape and should have a great race in a few days time.

We got good and pulling the shocks off and on for Sonny but it was well worth the effort

Engine ran well and Chris from SubieWorks gets a big thumbs up :)

The amount of knowledge Sonny had on what needed to be done was very impressive. He just stood back, watched and tweaked .. sweet.

Another big bonus was the info Sonny passed on and how he not only did his thing he passed on explanations and experience. Paul from SteelArt Creations in Brendale as in his element as a fellow shock tuner.

The Man is his Magic Cave.

Team Tow'd came out as well and got some shock love.

All that said and done I think the last picture is the best. This is Paul from SteelArt Creations in Brisbane and his is my main fabricator. This pictures was after we had been up for about 40 hrs straight getting the Manxter to where it is, he slept all the way out to the desert but after a quick ride he was happy to say it was worth the effort.

That is the biggest thing we all love what we do and working with Meyers Manx just makes it all that much better.

pgrandia

Post by pgrandia »

Looks like it's gonna happen. My hats off to you guys and good luck! :clap:
pgrandia

Post by pgrandia »

While it looks like it's gonna happen. :D
Can you fill us in on any of the last minute issues that you're dealing with?
Brad

Post by Brad »