Manxter radiators

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
gary dam

Manxter radiators

Post by gary dam »

Does anyone know what radiators Bruce uses in the Subaru Manxter sidepods? Or at least the specs or size? I have asked Bruce but he doesn't remember, he send me a drawing on how to plumb it but that was about it. Hope someone out there knows. Its tough when there are only a few Manxter running that engine. Thanks again Gary and Annie
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Gary - I asked Bruce in October 2006 when he was building mauricev10's car (Metalflake Purple) about the radiators he used. He said they were Geo Tracker or some other small Asian mini-SUV radiator with a core size of @ 12" X 12". The filler necks had to be moved to make it work. I have many pictures of the mounting of the radiators & plumbing on that car if you would like to see them. I just contacted Maurice, and he said the setup was working well. Kathleen & I are just getting the new sidepods on her car and we have been talking to Ron Davis Radiators about making some custom aluminum radiators for her Subaru conversion. We don't have the size worked out yet. Maybe we could work together and order more than one set. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
gary dam

Post by gary dam »

That sounds good to me on the radiator deal. I asked Maurice about the size and all he remembered was that the 2 Manxters he has both have different ones. He said Bruce couldn't find them the second time. I have seen some pictures of the plumbing and mounting, but not enough. If you could get me your photos that would be great. Thanks Gary and Annie
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Gary - PM sent. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

I am setting up an album in the Austrialan Manx Club site to show Manxter S details. Go here: http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album437 . I will update the progress on Kathleen's car as we go along. I would like to offer another tip we ran across by accident. We had the side intrusion bars off the car, leaned them against the wall to save space, and water came out of them! The rear end of the bars is open behind the tail light area and during some of our trips water had gotten in there. The open end should be plugged off after you make sure there is no water in there, or the tube may rust out! Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

We have added more progress pictures to the Austrailian Manx Club Gallery. Go here: http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album437 . Picture # 6 - 10 are recent progress. All the pictures after those are for reference from other cars. Many thanks to Andy Felix on tips on how to use stock radiators. Many thanks also to Kevin Zagar at Mendeola for tips on how to make this cooling system work. We tried to use his supplier, but they didn't want to help us, so we are having the radiators done at Ron Davis Racing Products. We got a lot of help there from Dennis. We have (2) 16" high X 14" wide X 2" thick aluminum radiators with 12" fans mounted on order. They have to be mirror image of each other. The real problem with mounting the radiators in the sidepods is the depth. The radiator opening tapers towards the front of the car. We can't use a shroud with a 2" thick radiator. The 12" fan covers @ 90% of the core area, so I don't think this will be a problem. There is much fabrication involved to mount all the new parts (high pressure fuel system, ECU, coolant system, ect...) and it is time consuming. We still hope to make it to Mid America at the end of May. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Well the radiators and fans arrived and look better than we had hoped for! :rock: Ron Davis did a really nice job. The radiators are a little thinner than we expected because the center is a recessed. That will make it easier (we hope) to mount them in the side pod. Tom put some pics on the Austrailian Manx site of the radiators and the silicone elbows I ordered. The link is: http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album437 Tom rearranged the pictures in an attempt to group things together. Now comes the fun part!! We have to put everything together and hope it all fits nicely!! :D Kathleen
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
Manx-Australia

Sweet

Post by Manx-Australia »

That is a nice looking radiator ... Image
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Thanks! They will fit in the sidepods. We have the b/p's and more can be made from Ron Davis radiators if anyone else wants a set. The next test is to see how hot the Subi motor runs after we get it all together. We are still shooting for the Mid America show. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT