Goin' Postal

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
Gene-C

Goin' Postal

Post by Gene-C »

When I called Berrien Buggy to inquire about the actual shade of Blue listed on their website, I was told that the color on the Express Mail envelopes at the post office was a very close match. Later, I actually felt like goin? postal on 2 occasions; first when I struggled to complete my custom wiring harness, and more importantly, when it was discovered that there was a crack in the block of my brand new engine (right behind the crank pulley) purchased from Just Vee Dubs in Camp Verde, AZ. It would not have been worth the hassle to even try to get them involved on any warranty credit (it was a nightmare even getting my prepaid engine from them in the first place), so I ordered a new block from doghouserepair.com, and had the engine rebuilt locally. I have had it on the road for about the last few months, and other than a few tweaks (adjusting the rear torsion to level the tires, for example), I am relatively satisfied with the result. Photos were taken at Indian Beach, along the coast of North Carolina.
Gary1719

buggy

Post by Gary1719 »

Looks like it turned out real nice!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Also, in order for my vehicle to pass inspection, I had to have a working windshield wiper. I removed it after inspection, but I do keep it with me in case it becomes and issue. The wiper assembly is from JC Whitney, and the mounting bracket for the windshield frame is from B & K Manufacturing.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[font=Microsoft Sans Serif][font=Microsoft Sans Serif]I have personally seen Gary's buggy during the build process and the finished product. His pictures don't do the buggy justice. Gary has a keen eye for detail (powder coating "invisible" parts, his custom rear seat that integrates his speakers, his custom colors/material for his seats, etc) and most importantly he has been very patient during the build. It is truly a thing of beauty. [font=Microsoft Sans Serif] [font=Microsoft Sans Serif]Gary, where is Indian Beach? I need to have you take some pictures of my buggy. The quality is great. [font=Microsoft Sans Serif] [font=Microsoft Sans Serif]Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Hi Bud, Thank you for the compliment. Indian Beach is a small community on Emerald Isle, next to Salter Path. The photo was taken at one of the small public parking places just off the beach. I really had to park the dune buggy just right, and crop the photo in tight, so that the big wooden sign to the left stating "If your pet poops, you scoop" was out of the field of view. Ha!
manxfwin

goin poastal

Post by manxfwin »

Great job on the buggy.I like your wiper setup,what parts did you use for the ass'y?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Hi Dave, I appreciate the compliment. As far as what parts I used are concerned, are you referring to the wiper assembly or other parts of the dune buggy? I will do my best to answer any of your questions.
manxfwin

goin' postal

Post by manxfwin »

I guess I should have been a little more precise. :( I had intended to ask about the wiper ass'y,what parts did you use from JC and what was needed to assemble?Thanks for any info.Dave B
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Hi Dave, The hand wiper assembly unit from JC Whitney is the 14" version, Model #ZX811301T, here is the link: http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2002004/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2002004/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=hand+wiper The Wiper Mount Assembly from B & K Manufacturing is Model #WMA100, here is the link: http://www.bandkmfg.com/windwings.html The shaft that is connected to the wiper blade can either extend out or retract into the wiper arm; mine is retracted in all of the way to fit my windshield. The shaft from the wiper unit simply goes through the windshield mount with a nut/washer setup to hold it into place. I hope this helps.
manxfwin

goin' postal

Post by manxfwin »

Thanks Gary,never made much sense for a state to require wipers on a car without a top unless they require a wiper on the inside of the window as well. :eek: Have'nt had any problems so far but will use your idea just in case.Dave B
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I thought that I would post a few more close-up photos showing my fire extinguisher, front interior, and side mirrors. The fire extinguisher is a HalGuard HG250C (Chrome) with including mounting bracket, purchased from JEGS. I wrapped the rollbar with self-adhesive Velcro (pile side) to help prevent the hose clamps from scratching the surface. The interior shot shows some custom carpet that I had made from patterns that I cut and sent off for reference. Standard VW front carpets do not want to lay flat in the Berrien Buggy floor pan. If you are interested, you can contact wayne@averysfloormats.com, and he will recommend a dealer of his to use for purchase. I have had a few local guys ask about my side mirrors. I chose these particular ones because of the dimensions: 5.25" x 3.25". The mirrors themselves were purchased from C & L?s (www.clparts.com) and the mirror arms/windshield brackets (MARM100 and MBRKT100) are from B & K Manufacturing (bandkmfg.com). The thread patterns matched, but I did add stainless steel washers to keep the studs on the mirrors from bottoming out in the mirror brackets.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Doing donuts in the sand along the side of New River Inlet, Topsail Beach NC. So much for the "this buggy is being built strictly for street use???.." Bud Zeller (Madmanx) and I decided to meet for breakfast on Topsail Island, and take a cruise afterwards before the heat of the day set in. Next thing I knew, we were driving out past the pavement on the north end of the island. Based on the cleanup afterwards, I will admit that I won?t make a habit of it, but it was a blast none the less.
CM-Rick

Post by CM-Rick »

Don't give up on the dirt too quickly......... just look how happy your buggy looks !! :D :driving:
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Cleaning sand off your buggy is fun compared to cleaning off mud. The buggy looks like it's enjoying itself.