Oil Temps

The Manxter 2+2 & Dual Sport. Created as an answer to the limitations of the classic Meyers Manx.
Don Giovanoni

Oil Temps

Post by Don Giovanoni »

I drove the Manx on the highway for a while today with about 96+ air temps with heat index over 100. Drove about 60 or so, about 3000 rpm. Finally saw 180 degrees on the oil temp guage. Normally runs about 110 or so; definitely low. I have used all types of VDO sending units in the past - dipstick, t-fitting on pressure sending unit, and now at the pressure relief at the front of the case. If one is wrong, they are ALL wrong but the engine never seems hot when you stop and oil pressure is steady about 45 lbs moving, 25 at hot idle. What is everyone else running for oil temps and what are you using for a sending unit? BTW, I am running a stock Mexican 1600 with a VW Thing non-fresh air doghouse shroud and all original VW tin.
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

My oil temperature runs about the same as yours. The only time that it goes above 180 to maybe 190 on the hottest days when it is on the edge of the century mark. My oil pressures are about the same as yours also. I am running 20-50 castrol oil. My engine is a 1776 with the stock tins but I am running the extra sump with the sending unit in the sump.
fubar

Post by fubar »

They make an oil cooler with an electric fan built in. You can toggle switch it or set it to come on and off at whatever temp you want pretty much with the right sender. Adding more oil capacity cannot hurt anything as well. The Mercedes 5.6 ltr v-8 takes 11 quarts of oil and has a radiator that would cool a semi. Chevrolet uses 5 qts for the same size engine.....If you fan belt broke I would guess the motor would take a lot longer to sieze if it had a good supply of cool clean oil.