Steering Box or Rac for Towd

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
marklandon

Post by marklandon »

Hello all I'm thinking on changing my current rack unit to some thing more off road I get alot of car moving around on the street some on ruff roads its not bad off road (can't feel it to much from the bouncing) right now its a Honda rack unit but I'm not sure I have room for any thing else and I have not looked at other Towd's at the runs yet what is out there

Thanks
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Most Tow'ds use the stock steering box and different length tie rods.  This is because of the center tube for tow bar and steering support..
With it being in the position it is, it would be difficult to make one work.
The rack I recommend are the SACO brand.  The have both inner tie rod ends really close together on bottom of rack.  This setup makes for very little to no bump steer. 
Other kinds of racks that have short tie rods attaching at ends of rack create toe changes as suspension travels through it cycle. 
It is because as suspension travels, it moves backwards and forward as it goes up and down.
In the dirt you really do not feel this as much as compared to being on a solid surface.

If your buggy wanders on the road not having enough caster can also cause it to do it.  There are aftermarket caster shims available.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970