skid plate

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
pottercountypuddlejumper

skid plate

Post by pottercountypuddlejumper »

Can anyone put up pictures of what you have under the seats to protect yourself , mine has never had anything. Just fiberglass. Thanks , VIC
towd-dude

skid plate

Post by towd-dude »

Some Tow'd owner's have added a tube level with the lower part of the seat but I've never seen a Tow'd  with anything directly under the seat area. Not that it couldn't be done but I don't thinks it's needed.

Bob
jsturtlebuggy

skid plate

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

This is what I have done on Tow'd to install a full skid plate under the body.  Lower rails are 1 1/2" round tubing and laced with 1in tubing.  Has welded on tabs with nuts to bolt on a .080" thick piece of  aluminum.  This extra frame work helps keep the original frame rails from breaking which has happened to a few Tow'ds I seen.
In the past on a friends tow'd I bent and welded a piece of 4in wide by 1/8in thick flat strap under the rear part of seats to bolt the seat belt to instead of just going through the fiberglass.  It was welded to the tube under the edge lip.
Also for the Meyers Manx factory Racing Tow'ds they glassed in a piece of 1/2in plywood on the bottom and then drilled holes in area where you feet are and glassed all together.  Mine was like that.  I have over 40 hours in fixing the chassis you see from all the racing damage is sustainedImage

Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
pottercountypuddlejumper

skid plate

Thanks, I am trying to be one step ahead of Pa. inspection, with all the runaround they give you, I was expecting they would want something more than fiberglass between your butt and the road inches away.  VIC
jsturtlebuggy

skid plate

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I never finished the Tow'd project sold it and it went to Australia.
This is what the body looked like and you can see the glass reinforcement on the body.
I never got to the point of installing the aluminum floor be for selling it. n

All of the extra fiberglass work on bottom of the body was done at Meyers Manx race shop.  This was one of the early Tow'ds that had the ABS body replaced with fiberglass.      
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
dcamomanx

skid plate

Post by dcamomanx »

Joseph,

I love what you did with the frame, I wish I would have thought of doing something like that with my race tow'd. I bet it would help a lot with the cowl and steering wheel shake.

Doran
pottercountypuddlejumper

skid plate

Looks very strong! Thanks..... VIC   Are there many buggies in the outback?
jsturtlebuggy

skid plate

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

There was 4 Tow'ds shipped last year down under. 
From what I have been told there is work being done on them and 1 close to being finished.
From what my friends tell me there is an off road park close to them where they plan on using them.  
On another site (I forget which one and the name of the guy) there is one that been there for years and he uses in the dirt and dunes.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
ManxRob

skid plate

Post by ManxRob »

Here is a picture of the ‘skid plate’ on my Tow’d when I took it apart.
I think it is the original described in the assembly instructions. I think it’s primary purpose was to keep the shift rod and wiring out of harms way.

Rob
pottercountypuddlejumper

skid plate

Thanks Rob.......... VIC