Tow'd's test run

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
dcamomanx

Tow'd's test run

Post by dcamomanx »

After a 2 1/2 year build so far, the tow'd got to go around the block. 

The brakes still need work, wiring, and details. 
ImageImageImageImageImage
steven

Tow'd's test run

Post by steven »

Doran, really looks good. I think I see a tech article in your future on those IRS/Reduction adapters, I know I have a few questions. Keep up the good work and the pics. and info.

Steve Ooley
Exeter, CA.
MC#1520
louisb

Tow'd's test run

Post by louisb »

Really good looking Towd. I keep wondering if there would be any interest in a modern version from the Meyers.

--louis
towd-dude

Tow'd's test run

Post by towd-dude »

Doran,
Really a nice retro looking tow'd. I know you'll come up with a cool windscreen on that race hood...

Something like this perhaps....

It's different and I really like it...

Towd Dude !
Last edited by towd-dude on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1MINT86

Tow'd's test run

Post by 1MINT86 »

Doran,

Good looking Tow'd, will we being seeing it on a run this year, you can never have to many Tow'ds
Greg & Jeanne Lewin
Member 2805
Tow'd 1679
Dual Sport DS-025
dcamomanx

Tow'd's test run

Post by dcamomanx »

Greg

I am thinking Big Bear

Bob

I actually had made one out of plexi but ended up dropping and breaking it

I guess I will have to try again

Steve

The Irs reduction gears have been a 10 plus year project of mine. Actually this is the second version and the second buggy they have been in. I first found them while I was still in New York and loved the idea. Originally the boxes were mounted to a set of stock irs arms. They bolted to a plate where the bearing would go and the axle was above the arm. Similarly as the stock bus reduction boxes are. The sub axle is from a type one After driving the set up it tended to hop under acceleration, but the gearing was great. I didn't like the way the hopped so I took them off and put them in the shed. I actually then gave them to Andy Felix to see what he could come up. A few years later they were still sitting in his shed so I asked for them back as I had a few ideas.

Here is what I have come up with some Hungarian engineering.

I wanted to try to lay down the reduction boxes.

I started with a set of dual spring plates. Then I built a set of trailing arms out of 1/4 X 6 inch plate, some 1 1/2 tube ( left overs from the tube bending party Thanks Kevin) and 3 inch aluminum spacers. In order to keep the the setup as narrow as possible I found a set of drivers side type 3 automatic trans axles that are 15 inch long.

So far the set up seems to work. I have been able to spin rear tires (as well as a worn 1600 single port will allow) without any wheel hop. It will be interesting to see what it will do in the dirt. I will try and get some more pics of the setup for you guys

Doran