Tires

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
stubenj

Tires

Post by stubenj »

What is the best tire for a tow`d
jsturtlebuggy

Re: Tires

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I have found round ones work better than ones that are flat on the bottom.
Front tire for off road the Mickey Thompson Mini Mag works great. They do throw crap back at you without fenders. I have also used for many years just a stock VW size tire 165-15 on and off road. With that size the speedometer is close to being correct.
Rear tire with stock trans, something in the 27-28in size works with low horsepower. The BFG All Terrain is a good tire, and has a decent sidewall for protection. A passenger car rated tire will be more flexible and work better with a lightweight Tow'd. Something in a 225 235- 15 tire you may like.
I like BFG others Goodyear, Firestone and other brands.
If all else fails call Bruce, since he design the Tow'd and knows what works on it.

Oz-Towdster

Re: Tires

Post by Oz-Towdster »

As Joe said round is good , but in all seriosness i would after recent experience stay well away from BFG All Terrains , for at least the front anyway , as trust me , after doing quite a few offroad miles of late in the LHD Towd here in Oz , when you turn into a corner with the Allterrains on the front that big square edge just covers you in crap , weather it be sand , dirt mud or water .
So for my RHD yellow Tow'dster i have chosen Yokohama Geolander Allterrains which are a much rounder edged tyre with not such a lug pattern which i hope are much better in regards to the above .
As for sizes , i'dd be looking at 31's for the rear and 195/80/15"s for the front .

Andrew