Tow'd nose job

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
dcamomanx

Tow'd nose job

Post by dcamomanx »

When I bought our Tow'd it had one of the old race hoods. The problem was someone had cut the front off of it at the beam. I wanted to restore the rare hood, so I had to get creative. Jaymanx happened to have a tow'd hood that was cut in order to clear his cage. After telling him what I was going to, he let me borrow it to try and make a mold of it. Here is the test fit.  

A little dental wax and some tape should fill in the holes just fine.   
Next I made up a metal mesh for added strength.

Being a dentist, it was only natural to use plaster for the mold. First, I placed a thin layer of vaseline as a mold releasing agent. Then on went the first layer of plaster. After a few layers I placed the metal mesh on. Followed by a few more layers of plaster.    
e5Image
After the plaster set up, I carefully removed Jay's hood. Now it was time to test fit and attach my hood. In order to prep the hood for fiberglass I had to grind back about 2 inches from the edge in order to expose the raw glass. A couple of sheet metal screws helped hold the hood to the mold. 
I precut many pieces of  fiberglass. Now it was time to get messy. After many layers of glass and resin, it was time to wait for everything to set up. And after a few hours.....  
out popped the hood. Granted, it still needed quite a bit of finish sanding and priming but overall it turned out pretty well. 
Doran 
Last edited by dcamomanx on Wed May 26, 2010 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuggyBob

Tow'd nose job

Post by BuggyBob »

Doran, Have you thought about changing your career to plastic surgery? Great nose job!
Ed-Chenal

Tow'd nose job

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Good work....
Ed
louisb

Tow'd nose job

Post by louisb »

Veddy Nice!

--louis