My Australian / US Tow'dster

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
Oz-Towdster

Post by Oz-Towdster »

Hi all thought it was about time that i show you my Tow'dster , if you haven't seen it before around the forums .
This car was originally built in Fountain Valley and has tag # TFXXXK912E and if you know your tags was Built in in Nov 69 .

Yes it is a pretty crazy build for a Tow'd based car and even crazier if you know how strict the Vehicle rules are in Australia , but being the only known one road registered in Australia at present it is something dear to me .

Here's a link to one of the build threads on the car , i hope you enjoy 

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=138302

manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Nice looking project, keep up the postings.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
Oz-Towdster

Post by Oz-Towdster »

Bit more work on The Towdster yesterday as Paul and i have been building the rear engine cage which on a Towdster with an engine lid is no mean feet .
Am also going to be running a 1 5/8 Trimil bobcat exhaust as pictured with a slightly modified collector .
Tail lights will be LED units mounted between the twin bars on each end 

Oz-Towdster

Post by Oz-Towdster »

And for those of you that don't want to venture over to shoptalk a few other random pics of the build .
The engine is to be a 2387cc Type 1 that i have ready to assemble fitted with some 45 DRLA Dellorto's , an 1800 bus transaxle fitted with a syncro diff lock , and the stopping is up to a set of Grey Area Technoligies disc brakes with 4 pots on the rear and 2 pots on the front .
In regards to the suspension components the front end is a 6" wider warrior beam with TI design 2 1/4" x 1" longer trailing arms and TI combo stub axles ( lifted ) with some 10" fox emulsion shocks handling the bounce and a SACO rack pointing it in the right direction on the odd ocation that the front wheels may be touching the ground .
The rear suspension is a stock IRS subframe minus all but the essential bits and fitted with some 3 X 3 Avery's Air Cooled rear arms , again fitted with Fox emulsion shocks but 12" travel 

ImageImageImageImageImage
Oz-Towdster

Post by Oz-Towdster »

Finally recieved our container from the states so Christmas has come early here

My HID headlight kit which will be fitted into a pair of genuine KC Stainless Steel Daylighters

Speed hut Gauges , including a combined Tacho / GPS Speedo , Oil pressure , Oil Temp , Cyl Head Temp , Volts , and Fuel , with all senders

A genuine Bosch Alternator and tig welded wide fan

A Jamar Pro X shifter with reverse lockout

Also unpictured at present is a set of Jamar hydralic fiddlers/ turning brakes , various size bump stops , some new cylinder tinware that i will insert the cylinder head vane out of a german set into , a 36 hp doghouse fan shroud and some LED tail lights
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Good news Andrew! That's got to be 1 "BIG" Christmas present!
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Very nice...
Ed
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Wow Andrew, you do great work!  What a beautiful job, and with top quality parts. It'll be a pure joy to drive.
Scott Drolet
MC Vice President

MC 47, DSB, RBC, Long Haul League, '64 Monocoque, '67 Manx, '73 Manxter, '64 Stainless Burro, '64 Corvair Burro, '65 Corvair Burro
http://www.ManxClub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SeaToSeaSafari.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.BurroBuggies.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oz-Towdster

Post by Oz-Towdster »

Bit more work , have set up the upper bump stops and limit straps in the rear

And cut out my centre consul to fit in the hydralic turning brakes , sorry forgot to take anyphoto's of the finished mounted item

Manxiberty

Post by Manxiberty »

turning brakes and bracket

jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

That is a big picture Paul. It took awhile to download with my DSL.
Looking at it, it appears you are going to mount the cylinders under the tub and have the handles come through where the mechanical steering brake handle would normally mount. Is that correct?
When you and Andrew get it done it sure not going to be a 900lb Tow'd like what Bruce design.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Oz-Towdster

Post by Oz-Towdster »

But Bruce didn't have a 2387cc Type 1 in mind at that time hehehehe ,but seriously the pipe work in the car is not all that heavy and i'dd rather have safety over crazy light , hell a stock Towd dosn't even have anywhere to bolt seat belts too apart from fibreglass and we all know how that would end .
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

I like your build.  It's safe and sturdy. 
Keeping things original is nice if all the vehicle is going to do is sit on display or be in parades.  If you're intent is to drive a buggy off-road or on the street, I think it's prudent to incorporate proven safety features and durability in the vehicle.  I encourage people to put cages on their vintage buggies.  As we know, a single roll bar offers little protection. 
Ed
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Andrew,
Is this Tow'd going to have a vent for the fuel tank? After what happen on the Sea2Sea run I think it would be a wise move.
And make sure the king pins fit are not to tight.
You four made the trip quite fun and interesting with your antics.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Oz-Towdster

Post by Oz-Towdster »

Joseph , it wasn't the vent that was the problem on either of the USA Towds in the end , on the green one onthe first day it just ended up being a peice of rubbish in the outlet on the tank and the blue ones problem was eventually traced to the fuel cut off solinoid in the pict 34 not opening properly .
King pins are all sorted as i'mm running TI Design lifted spindles which have nice bearings .
As for this car , as with the rest of it , an alloy custom triangular fuel tank is to be made with a vent pipe , large capacity outlet , and a fuel return pipe for possible fuel injection later on .
And as for entertaining , if you havn't read somewhere , i'mm comming back to the USA for Big Bear this year with some fresh aussies and more antics
Last edited by Oz-Towdster on Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.