Buggy questions

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Murdernikl

Buggy questions

Post by Murdernikl »

I have just purchased a buggy project that once I got it home noticed that someone didnt know what they were doing. They cut the torsion bar ends off trying to fit bigger tires on it. Now I need new torsion bars and spring plates. I was thinking coil over and skipping the torsion bars. dont even know what length bars to go with because I dont have the old ones to measure. This has dual spring plates but they are trash since they cut the end off that held the spline. So now that I am purchasing new plates I just need to match the spring plate with the torsion bar correct?
manxvair

Re: Buggy questions

Post by manxvair »

You should be able to contact a shop like Car Craft and they can walk you through your options, since you need new spring plates you can go with the shorter torsion bars to match.

Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

More than likely if it has the double spring plates connecting to the trailing arms your torsion bars were 26-9/16in long.
You can replace them with the 1961-1967 short torsion bars that are 21-3/4in long and use aftermarket spring plates for use with the shorter torsion bars.
The aftermarket spring plate come with or without adjusters for setting up rear suspension.
Depending on where you are located you may find something local. Southern California has many shops that sell parts.

Also the stock 21-3/4in length torsion bars came in two diameters. 1961-66 are 22mm in diameter and 1967-68 are 21mm in diameter. Depending on how you plan on using your buggy you may want to use a larger diameter torsion bars for off road use that are available in the aftermarket.

If you do plan on using coil overs, the stock shock mounts are not really strong enough to hold up to the load placed on them. Fabrication of different mounts would be required.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Where are you located and what year is the pan? Depending on your region, there may be people local to you that can help you in your build, and may even have some gently used parts you need at lower cost than buying new.