New Manx owner - Boston area

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
stevemac

New Manx owner - Boston area

Post by stevemac »

Hi Folks,
I just bought my first buggy and it is a real Manx. I had it authenticated by Winnie and she said it was produced prior to the company putting ID tags on them. I am having a blast with it so far and it gets lots of great comments and thumbs up from others on the road. If you guys know anyone in the Boston area that works on old VWs / buggies, I'd love to get that info as there are several things (mechanical and cosmetic) that I'd like to get done.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Mac
Boston MA
5150bossman

Re: New Manx owner - Boston area

Post by 5150bossman »

With the help of the internet/social media along with a couple of VW books that are still readily available, you can do much of the work yourself. I knew nothing about VW's when we started, but over the last 20 years have been able to do a majority of the work myself with all the resources that are out there. I prefer the Haynes VW Beetle & Karmann Ghia 1954 thru 1979 repair manual (lots of photos to follow along). Others prefer How to Keep your Volkswagen Alive... for the Complete Idiot. There are many parts houses on the internet that cater to older VW parts too (CIP1, Airhead Parts etc.). Either way, you can at least get started and keep it on the road until you find someone that can do the more difficult work.

Post some pictures when you get a chance. We would love to see it!
Buckley

Post by Buckley »

Like 5150bossman said, books are a great resource for learning about classic VW's. HOWEVER, I learn better (and faster) by watching someone doing the work. Mainly because I'm not a mechanic. Sometimes when I read procedures in a book I'm still wondering exactly what I need to do. For anyone that wants to SEE how to work on classic VW's, there are "Bug Me" video's available at the following URL:

http://www.bugmevideo.com/

I have pretty much the complete set. They are VERY good and taught me A LOT. I also have the books that 5150bossman listed, and those are quite good as well. I prefer reading the "How to Keep your Volkswagen Alive...a manual of step by step procedures for the Compleat Idiot" (Yes, compleat is spelled like that on the book's cover). Amazon sells it for a good price, as of 11-12-2020 a new copy would cost a little under $30.

Another excellent source of learning how to work on classic VW's is YouTube. LOTS of good videos there. And, like 5150bossman said, parts are available for these vehicles from many different sellers. Just do a Google search for the part you need and look for the vendor selling the part at the lowest price.
stevemac

Post by stevemac »

Thanks for the great info, Buckley. I've checked out a bunch of youtube videos (very helpful) but I'll pick up the books that were mentioned.

Steve
Steve Mac
Boston MA