Depreciation or Appreciation of buggys

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
lastmanx

Depreciation or Appreciation of buggys

Post by lastmanx »

Does the value of a dune buggy depreciate in value like a modern car does? For instance my Signature Series Manx built in Y2K with new parts for a cost of $15,000 dollars. $10,000 parts including shipping. $5,000 labor est. So now 20 years later with 40,000 miles is it worth more or less? The engine was a zero mile vw replacement engine from mexico. It was not driven in winter, stored dry. 50574359436043574356 beach driven, well maintained. No rust, 3inch lift, top & side curtains, seat belts, titled as a Dune Buggy. Only 100 signature series Manx were built, only 3 are blue gel-cote. Is this buggy worth more or less than in Y2K? (to me it is priceless and not for sale)
5150bossman

Re: Depreciation or Appreciation of buggys

Post by 5150bossman »

Much of it depends on where the market is from day to day, year to year. Right now with everything going on in the world, you would be hard pressed to get much for most buggies. Not alot of a chance to get out of it what you put into it monetarily. We bought our buggy in 2001 for $4K. We have since put in around $8K, and are about to put another $3 to $4K into it. I wouldn't expect to get $16K out of it. Maybe more like $8K as it stands now, but even that is a guess. A friend bought a sand rail for $100K, and had to sell it 4 years later for $28K. It's all up to what people will pay for what you have at the moment they look at it. In any case, what you get out of it the most are the smiles and joy from driving it, so drive on!
buggypete66

Post by buggypete66 »

PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY BUT!!!! just because you have laid out a lot of money on a car dont make it worth that amount,buggys should be seen as FUN!i always tell people that come to me to buy a shell/project /complete car,that they are uncomfortable on long journeys,they rattle,you can leave them parked up anywhere without some muppets messing with them.BUT they the best automotive fun pound for pound.i turn more heads and make more people smile than any ferrari or pporsche. FACT
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

bossman, I know the market is bad for selling, I'm talking about auction value or collecter car insurance values. My value is high because a signature series Manx is the only limited edition of 100 ever produced. It is also the series that reintroduced the Manx back from obscurity, and the molds for those bodies was taken directly off old red. You cannot get a replacement body either. buggypete, My buggy is very comfy on long or short rides with its APC racing seats. there are absolutely no rattles. It is alarmed and no one messes with it when parked. It has a 3 inch lift, 33x12.5 tires ,sand steer brakes, and can be used off road or on. This is not just another Manx. PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY BUT, it was built from a rust free frame with brand new floors, brand new VW Mexico 1600 cc long block, new front beam, bearings, brakes, bolts nuts everything. It was a complete brand new limited edition Manx in 2001, titled as a1967 dune buggy. It is still rust free, original gel-coat blue with only 44,000 miles. To drive a rattle free, problem free, real Manx buggy in 2020 must be worth more than what your local market can bare. Wouldn't you think so?