OOOOOPSS

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
lastmanx

OOOOOPSS

Post by lastmanx »

I have been a little hard on newbies that ask questions to easily found answers, solutions on dune buggys. But we were all newbies once. So what was that stupid mistake you made on your first buggy, just to show newbies they can get over it. I have made many. I had seen this mistake on used buggys I have restored, but I made it anyway. My instructions said drill 7 holes to rivet the hood in place, but more is better; so I drilled 10. Those extra holes go beyond the body and can't be riveted. OOOOPSS. :roll: :wink:
manxvair

Re: OOOOOPSS

Post by manxvair »

In 2013 I was preparing for what was the most intimidating trip in my buggy that I ever had, we were going to drive it across the USA for the Sea 2 Sea Safari. We had never attempted any kind of trip like this before and I did not want to be "that guy" who's buggy needed repaired during the trip, add to that it is Corvair powered(you don't find parts/service just around the corner). The trip was planned, hotels were booked, shipping the buggy home from North Carolina was all paid for. The week before departure I decided to add a breather kit to the valve covers. I determined where to route the hoses and drilled the valve covers, while the covers were off I adjusted the valves(Corvair does it while running) The engine was purring great. I put the valve covers on and it ran like crap, after 2 days and immense frustration thinking the trip was now a bust and all the money lost, I finally determined the fitting I installed in the valve cover interfered with cylinder #6 valve spring. DOH! replaced valve covers and had the trip of a life time! OOOOOPSS!
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

In the early 2000's, I had just finished my Signature Manx and took it to the Palomar Mountain run. When you first build a buggy, it is a good idea to know where the on gas gauge you actually run out of gas. My first and only Phillipe Award in over 20 years of Manx runs.
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

2 weeks ago; playing with carb adjustments and trying to sort out a "rich" running buggy. Making good progress then it just died... Check a few of the obvious items and still nothing. Looked at the gas gauge, it appeared to be low, popped of the cap and tank was dry. These things happen:)
John & Sonya Kieslich
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

As I was putting the finishing touches on a buggy: I drilled a perfect hole in a new seal modified installed( full )gas tank. The hole was for another rivet to hold a "L" bracket to bolt in my 1/2 underdash parcel tray43404326. Gas poured out, while I went to the auto store for a patch kit. It held for about 5 years, until I replaced the tank. OOOOPSS