Built to last

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
lastmanx

Built to last

Post by lastmanx »

Just wondering how long a buggy should last before it needs a rebuild. I built mine in 2000 with new parts using a gelcoat signature series Manx body, the only New Manx body available. The plan was to make it last a long time with basic routine maintenance. The sand basic swing axle was dropped during shipping, and needed a new hockey stick. I damaged the paper gasket: which caused a small drip oil leak. 18 years later the drip had turned into a puddle, so I restored it along with new engine tins that had cracked and rattled badly, the front wheel bearings also needed replacement. This past winter I did all the work refreshing everything. I found the puddle was actually caused by a loose reverse switch, and loose boot. The body and interior needed nothing. The spray can painted side panels needed repaint. I did more work than I had planned but was glad to get it done and over with before summer use. My question is: How long did your Buggy Build last before a refresh was needed? Is 18 years normal or not? The buggy has the same look as before.50564360
GotManx

Re: Built to last

Post by GotManx »

Are buggies every really finished? I think they are continuing projects.

18 years before really having to do anything to a buggy is pretty good. I probably have about the same amount of time on my Signature Manx and most of it has stayed the same, although I did upgrade the motor and changed a few other little things.
lastmanx

Re: Built to last

Post by lastmanx »

true most are continuing. My signature Manx was my third buggy, by then I had worked out a set formula for my buggy needs; intended as what was needed to drive on Racepoint beach in MA. I needed the gelcoat body, as sunblock lotion dissolved painted buggies when touched.