What needs to be fixed on your buggy

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
lastmanx

What needs to be fixed on your buggy

Post by lastmanx »

Ok you have finished building your buggy. It has been done for years, and you have been enjoying it. But over the years some things have broke; but they are minor and you have put fixing them off. So what are they? I built my Manx 18 years ago, the backlit tachometer light, and the light for the mechanical gas gauge is also out. I chose not to get the drop down dash, so I have to get upside down under the dash to fix it. At age 57 I've gotten lazy and haven't fixed it for years. I have a strict policy of not working on buggys during the short summer: its for driving only. I will probably fix it this winter. What have you let go unfixed? :shh: :crazy: :D
rzeller

Re: What needs to be fixed on your buggy

Post by rzeller »

Interesting topic. I try not to put off stuff for too long regardless of the season, except for one task. I'll even put this off for a couple of years due to the PIA to complete. Beach driving, while fun at the moment, the results are invasive, corrosive, and just plan dirty. Sand gets into absolutely everything, especially under the hood and on top of the gas tank. Compound that with a poorly done gas tank mod (leaking welds everywhere) and a leaking sending unit seal, and you have a real mess.

My hood removal requires the steering column to be pulled out, a ton of fender screws taken out, all the wiring to be disconnected under the dash (on my back and assuming the position), and a good friend to help lift the hood and windshield off (I don't take the windshield off). Due to the time consuming nature of the job I put it off for as long as I can stand the sand being blown into the cabin when I drive. Yes, and for as long as the sand is under the hood, it blows into the cabin, on the floor, on my feet, and in my eyes sometimes.

I hate this job :P
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

Oh come on Bud....
Tell us how you REALLY feel about it!

I can't talk... I have so many jobs on tomorrow's honey do list I've had to make an index just so I can see the new ones as she adds them!
I've bee trying to buy a case of 'round tuits but they're in short supply here in the Great White North... did you southern boys buy them all up???

I swear to have a good start on the Tow'd real soon....

Paul
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

Just remembered, I need to replace my cylinder engine tins. It has cracks where it bolts. Any suggestions as to who makes a thick strong tin?. I am looking for stock VW style: with nut bosses, as I use them as a ground location for rear lights. Or does anybody make stainless steel ones?