A question and a little help?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Blackshirt

A question and a little help?

Post by Blackshirt »

I know zero about these buggies but have always been intrigued. This one is for sale locally and I am interested but need to know more.

Is it even a Manx?
I know it's just one quick pic, but I'm meeting the guy tomorrow and will get more info at that point.

What can you tell me from this pic?

Anything would be helpful.

Thanks in advance...

https://photos.smugmug.com/My-First-Gal ... age1-M.jpg
gwoolsey56

Re: A question and a little help?

Post by gwoolsey56 »

not a manx hood. it looks like a safari trail, like mine. still will be a fun ride.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
ManxBug

Post by ManxBug »

Not a Manx. Looks like a Boonie Buggy to me.

Boonie Buggy made by Fibe-Ron Manufacturing. Designed for either a regular shortened pan or Corvair use.
Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

Thank you both for your help.

Is there a place to look up values for these, or just dig around forums and classifieds?
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

the value of any buggy is measured in the fun factor. the most valuable are buggys needing no work to repair or fix it. if you can just drive it the fun factor soars. if you need to work on it , it will cost $$, in either parts or labor, and time. every hour it is in a repair shop is an hour you are not enjoying it. there are sites out there that tell how to buy a buggy, visit them. in general $10,000 is about normal for a buggy in great shape, ready to drive. if the seller tells you it needs some simple easy repairs at that ( $10,000) price be aware. if the repairs were simple or easy they would have been done. buggys are built from vw bugs and are automotive machines, they are simply cars, be sure it works as a car. a broken Meyers manx buggy is worth the same as a broken any brand buggy. if you desire a genuine manx body go to the manx store, you can still buy a brand new buggy. the bottom line is that all dune buggys are hand built by people not the vw factory. some are built by highly skilled craftsmen. some are not. look under, over, in, and out at your purchase defects will be obvious. there is no shortage of used buggys for sale, see ebay.
langan

Post by langan »

They all cost the same to make, but real Manx's are worth more when done.
Still if you just want to have some fun and this one,and if it is under 1000.00 you could have a great time getting it running.
Watch your costs make it a fun build see how little you can spend and send it down the road as a running driving car. Then if you still want a buggy buy a new manx body and new parts and have a keeper. IMO
Ed Chenal

Post by Ed Chenal »

Post a request for a Mentor who resides near you and/or find some folks who own buggies near you. Attend any car shows or outings involving buggies. Try to locate a VW shop near you. Ask questions.
If you have some mechanical knowledge it's very helpful but there is a learning curve. If you want to learn, there are a couple of books that you can buy on Amazon, "Baja Bugs and Buggies," by Jeff Hibbard and "How to keep your Volkswagen alive," by John Muir. They aren't expensive. More information can also be found by reading the various buggy forums and watching "How To" videos on U-Tube.
Owning a buggy has been a fun experience for me and I hope it will be for you as well.
Blackshirt

Post by Blackshirt »

Thank you all for your responses.
My son ended up buying the buggy with his own money.

We will be looking for a mentor in our area.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

it looks very nice and complete. if it operates as well as it looks, it was well bought. you have a nice street buggy. if you want to educate yourself on vws look all over this website. if you need quick answers to questions go to the manx facebook page.
AMAC1680

Post by AMAC1680 »

lastmanx wrote:the value of any buggy is measured in the fun factor. the most valuable are buggys needing no work to repair or fix it. if you can just drive it the fun factor soars. if you need to work on it , it will cost $$, in either parts or labor, and time. every hour it is in a repair shop is an hour you are not enjoying it. there are sites out there that tell how to buy a buggy, visit them. in general $10,000 is about normal for a buggy in great shape, ready to drive. if the seller tells you it needs some simple easy repairs at that ( $10,000) price be aware. if the repairs were simple or easy they would have been done. buggys are built from vw bugs and are automotive machines, they are simply cars, be sure it works as a car. a broken Meyers manx buggy is worth the same as a broken any brand buggy. if you desire a genuine manx body go to the manx store, you can still buy a brand new buggy. the bottom line is that all dune buggys are hand built by people not the vw factory. some are built by highly skilled craftsmen. some are not. look under, over, in, and out at your purchase defects will be obvious. there is no shortage of used buggys for sale, see ebay.
That’s the best synopsis of value I’ve ever seen, kudos sir!

AMAC
I never met a buggy I didn't like, or didn't try to buy!