brake fluid question

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
garybuggy

brake fluid question

Post by garybuggy »

Brake fluid question. My buggy was in storage for 6 months. Brake pedal goes to floor does not stop buggy. I assume brake fluid is out. Silly question--but do you just fill up the canister in the front of the buggy near the wheel well--or do you need to do more? Want to make sure I am also putting fluid in the right reservoir--I assume there is only one plastic reservoir on these buggies?

thank you!
towddude

Re: brake fluid question

Post by towddude »

Yes, that's the right reservoir. You will also have to bleed your brakes starting with the wheel farthest from the reservoir.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

If it's out of fluid then you need the check where it's gone. There must be a leak somewhere.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Best to pull each drum to see if the cylinders are leaking inside. Brake fluid on the brake shoes will destroy the shoes.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Also check around and under the master cylinder. A leak there can be deceplive as it can leak into the crossmember / Naponean's hat.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

We had this happen one time on the Manxter. The reservoir was empty but had not gotten air in the system, so all we had to do was fill it back up and it was OK. Try that 1st, if you get lucky, you won't have to bleed it. The leak was the brake light switch which we had replaced a few days earlier and not gotten tight enough. Tom