VHF/UHF Radio frequencies & etiquette

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
vincent9993

VHF/UHF Radio frequencies & etiquette

Post by vincent9993 »

The Manx Club is pleased to announce that it has obtained the rights to use 7 frequencies from the FCC for Manx Club members to use during Manx Club related activities.
Please consult the attached memo for official announcement.

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

MC-1 151.7000 VHF 35 watt
MC-2 151.7600 VHF 35 watt
MC-3 158.4000 VHF 110 watt
MC-4 158.4075 VHF 110 watt
MC-5 151.5125 VHF 2 watt
MC-A 464.5000 UHF 2 watt
MC-B 464.5500 UHF 2 watt

As these radio frequencies have much greater range, when using these during MC events, you should familiarize yourselves with proper radio communication etiquette:
  • When using a two-way radio you cannot speak and listen at the same time, as you can with a phone.
  • Make sure you have a unique call sign before you leave ex.
    • Group lead Yellow
    • Sweep Green
    • Mike Red
  • When communicating, start by calling destination followed by your identification
    • First listen to ensure the channel is clear for you.
    • Press the PTT (Push-To-Talk) button - After 2 seconds:
    • Say "recipient's call sign"
    • followed by "THIS IS" and "your call sign".
    • Once the person replies, convey your message.
    • Example
      • Caller: "Sweep Green, this is Group lead Green, come in, over"
      • Receiver: "Group lead Green, go ahead, over"
      • Caller: "We need to stop, buggy needs repairs, over"
      • Receiver: (Repeat request to confirm message) "Copy, we need to stop, buggy needs repairs. Stopping now, over"
  • Think before you speak
    • Decide what you are going say and to whom it is meant for.
    • Make your conversations as concise, precise, and clear as possible.
    • Avoid long and complicated sentences. If your message is long, divide it into separate shorter messages.
    • Do not use abbreviations unless they are well understood by your group.
These general terms should also be understood:
  • Radio Check What is my signal strenght? Can you hear me?
  • Go Ahead You are ready to receive transmission.
  • Stand-by You acknowledge the other party, but I am unable to respond immediately.
  • Roger or Ten Four Message received and understood.
  • Negative Same as "No".
  • Affirmative Same as "Yes". Avoid "yup" or "nope" as they are difficult to hear.
  • Say Again Re-transmit your message
  • Over Your message is finished.
  • Out All conversation is finished, the channel is clear for others to use.
  • Break, Break, Break You are interrupting in the middle of communication because you have an emergency.
  • Read you loud & clear Response to "Radio Check". Means your transmission signal is good. Also use "Read you 5-by-5".
  • Come in You are asking the other party to acknowledge they hear you.
  • Copy You understand what was said.
  • Wilco Means "I will comply".
  • Repeat Used before you repeat something. ex: "I require 9-5, repeat 9-5, gallons of diesel fuel. Over"
Conditions:
Pursuant to §309(h) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. §309(h), this license is subject to the following conditions: This license shall not vest in the licensee any right to operate the station nor any right in the use of the frequencies designated in the license beyond the term thereof nor in any other manner than authorized herein. Neither the license nor the right granted thereunder shall be assigned or otherwise transferred in violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended. See 47 U.S.C. § 310(d). This license is subject in terms to the right of use or control conferred by §706 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended. See 47 U.S.C. §606.