Appraisal

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
mykee50

Appraisal

Post by mykee50 »

Hello, I'm trying to get my Manx that I bought in Idaho licensed in Washington State. I went to the DOL and they are trying but they need a certified weight and an appraisal to finish it. The weight was no problem, 1460 (w/my butt in it). But I don't know where to get an appraisal. They said just go to a car dealer and get something with a letterhead of what they would sell it for. That doesn't make much sense as Manx experts are few and far between. Any other ideas?

Also, the seller bought this Manx out of CA in 2011. The CA title said 2000 SPCN so that's how they transferred it to the ID title (2000). I'm trying to get it called a 55' VW or a 70' Meyers Manx to avoid emissions testing. How do most of your titles read?

Thanks for any ideas, Mike

FulsGld

Re: Appraisal

Post by FulsGld »

Ya, that's a tough one. When I moved to WA from CA 13 years ago I also went through a similar process. FULSGLD [ManxVair) is registered as a 1996 SPCN in CA (the year I bought it). In 2000 my registration renewal indicated I needed to get a smog check. I put it on a non-op and fought through the anti smog process to no avail. When my registration came due in 2001 it indicated I didn't need to smog it. I did get to register it that year without the smog check. Anyway, to make a long story short, I would non-op it on even years and register it on odd years. Then the move to WA happened. I took my title to the DOL and they said they didn't recognize the SPCN and that I would have to get it inspected by the State Police. I really didn't want to do that so I played the even/odd year CA registration for a number of years. Finally I found a Corvair that had a good title but was trash. You can probably guess the rest. I really didn't solve your problem, but FULSGLD is on the road/sand...

Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
mykee50

Post by mykee50 »

Haha, you did good. I'll put that info. in my back pocket. You're right about them not knowing what SPCN is (still don't). I know a car salesman that could probably do a bogus appraisal. I'll start with that route and hope for the best. I'll let you know. Thanks, Mike
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Yah, let me know. I have other buggies that might fall into the same category here in WA...
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
Timinator

Post by Timinator »

Have your Motor Vehicle department look at the serial number of the chassis/pan. That's what they did for me and I got it changed from a special construction to 1954 Bug.
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

I gave the CA DMV the DMV number that the CHP attached to two places on FULSGLD. I filled out a document asking for every piece of info that they had on that number. The only info I got back was the 1996 Registration info from when I purchased it in 1996. Nothing from before that time.
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112