New Buggy

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
mykee50

New Buggy

Post by mykee50 »

Well I finally bought a Meyers Manx. I bought Ryan's out of Boise ID. You may remember his build posts from a couple of years ago.

http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 67&start=0

*Now I need to spend a little $$$ to make it how I want it (sorry lastmanx, hahaha). Can I get some ideas on where to get the following...
*Disc brakes
*New seats, these fiberglass ones are hard on my 65 year old butt. I've seen Porche and Scion mentioned before, but what year?
*engine cage
*Convertible top or bikini. Or I seen a windshield hinged hard top with lift cylinders that looks cool
*Some type of floor covering

I would really appreciate any help thrown my way. Thanks, Mike
Last edited by mykee50 on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FulsGld

Re: New Buggy

Post by FulsGld »

Looks like a very nice buggy. Where are you located???
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
Gary0302

Post by Gary0302 »

Hi mykee50,

Man, that buggy looks fantastic; I like the color and simplicity. Looking through Ryan's old thread, I noticed where he had purchased a Manx sidewinder exhaust. Just a word of caution; the newer versions of the (one piece) sidewinder exhaust may not accept the traditional rear cage style tubing. I am in the early stages of assembling a traditional style rear bumper cage that allows for a step up in the tubing, in between the shock tower attaching points and the rear of the upper hoop. As far as seats go and at least for me, it is difficult to beat custom suspension seats (I have Beard Seats, but there are other brands that are equal to the task). Just make sure your new seats are narrow enough for proper mounting; even mine are a snug fit. Research will also be advised to determine if your existing seat mounts/tracks will work with new seats, or if you need to consider the option to purchase aftermarket seat mounts.
Last edited by Gary0302 on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Holbrook
Manx Club Member #2831
East Coast Dune Buggies
Coastal North Carolina

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." Dale M.

Check out my skydiving, bungee jumping, and dune buggy videos on Youtube
mykee50

Post by mykee50 »

FulsGld wrote:Looks like a very nice buggy. Where are you located???
Hahaha Gary Berry, I just drove through Prosser on I-82 heading to Issaquah WA.
mykee50

Post by mykee50 »

Gary0302 wrote:Hi mykee50,

Man, that buggy looks fantastic; I like the color and simplicity. Looking through Ryan's old thread, I noticed where he had purchased a Manx sidewinder exhaust. Just a word of caution; the newer versions of the (one piece) sidewinder exhaust may not accept the traditional rear cage style tubing. I am in the early stages of assembling a traditional style rear bumper cage that allows for a step up in the tubing, in between the shock tower attaching points and the rear of the upper hoop. As far as seats go and at least for me, it is difficult to beat custom suspension seats (I have Beard Seats, but there are other brands that are equal to the task). Just make sure your new seats are narrow enough for proper mounting; even mine are a snug fit. Research will also be advised to determine if your existing seat mounts/tracks will work with new seats, or if you need to consider the option to purchase aftermarket seat mounts.

Thanks Gary, I'll look into those seats and a cage to fit the newer style sidewinder.
Gary0302

Post by Gary0302 »

From what I can tell, the rear cage bumper offered by meyersmanx.com (although pricey) provides for that step-up feature to allow for clearance, but others that own that particular product should chime in to confirm on what I think I see in the photos. Here is a link to the bumper that I am referring to, although the step-up brackets that attach to the shock towers do not appear to be included in the photos. I have seen photos of the brackets in other photo posts.

http://meyersmanx.com/manxter-rear-bumper.html
Gary Holbrook
Manx Club Member #2831
East Coast Dune Buggies
Coastal North Carolina

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." Dale M.

Check out my skydiving, bungee jumping, and dune buggy videos on Youtube
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

mykee50 wrote:
FulsGld wrote:Looks like a very nice buggy. Where are you located???
Hahaha Gary Berry, I just drove through Prosser on I-82 heading to Issaquah WA.
Stop in next time you're through here. Would love to see your buggy...
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112