It's not you it's me

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
FulsGld

Re: It's not you it's me

Post by FulsGld »

lastmanx wrote:gary, sand/woods/desert/street is that just a coastal thing? and you say your wife and dogs actually like being in the buggy? you must have comfortable seats, what kind are they? others in the club may benefit from that info. thanks in advance.
Not a coastal thing. We lived in Northern CA and now Eastern WA. We just use it everywhere. I put Gen-1 Scion xB seats in the Turista. Full sliders on custom mounts. Full suspension seats. I'm looking to put a set in FULSGLD this summer. Will be interesting to see if they fit with the high sides of the Manx body.

Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

they look very comfortable. nice job on the custom installation .
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

I will offer up some feedback from a newbie perspective. I was a lurker for a few years then started buggy shopping 2 years ago and used this forum for reference. I found out real quick that the classifieds on here were old and slow with activity. So, thanks to a local Craigslist ad I found a FG buggy that just happened to be a Manx. I tried to learn about others experience with products and minor tech questions. Sad to say with the exception of a few hits (including Lastmanx) the response quantity and timing was not quick enough for my needs. When I'm ready to buy a part or make a repair I have no patience ( just ask my wife). One day at "breakfast with Bruce" I mentioned to Bruce and Winnie how the forum was lacking activity and users. I was quickly told to try the Facebook page and can't believe how quick answers were provided. I have also made many friends through the FB page and our first club event "Bruce's Borego Birthday Bash. What I have learned is buggy people are very friendly, generous, and social no mater what type of FG buggy you have. We flat tow our buggy behind a moterhome and go to the desert, mountains, Dunes, grocery store, our just for a cruise at least once a week. The buggy gets driven to its abilities whenever it is off road. I do not judge by what you drive as long as we are all having fun. Our buggy is pretty rough and with the exception of seats and engine I buy a lot of stuff used from club members or othe online ads (I'm cheap). I'm proud to be a club member and buggy owner.

I'm John Hubble Kieslich on Facebook; didn't want to hide behind my user. And.

Cheers to all.
John & Sonya Kieslich
Gary0302

Post by Gary0302 »

I sent the text below as a Private Message to lastmanx, and he replied by asking me to post it publicly. In his response to me, I could tell that he in no way wanted his original post to be taken in such of a heavily negative light; he was just telling it like it is from his point of view. I have no doubt whatsoever that he is totally sincere, and I have a feeling that if we ever met, I would consider him a good friend. Some of your may find this hard to believe, but I myself have butted heads with fellow dune buggy enthusiasts here on this forum, on thesamba, and on Facebook. However, when it really comes down to it, and while considering the Manx Club meets, various car shows, forums, photos, videos, etc; nothing else out there beats a late afternoon cruise by either myself or with a friend along the beach roads of southeastern NC, listening to some of my favorite tunes. I would imagine that most of you have your favorite cruise routes, no matter where you live.

Hi lastmanx,

Originally, I typed this out to post publicly, but then I decided to send it to you directly in a private message:

Lastmanx (with a small “l”), you have a bad habit of talking out of both sides of your mouth. In one breath, you whine about the internet and technology in general (it’s not anyone else’s fault that you can’t keep up now, is it?), and then in another, you tirelessly and repeatedly complain about those that may choose to either trailer or tow their buggy to who-knows-where. Seriously, I don’t think you have the ability to “cause a riff in the club”; I believe that most folks just briefly read your latest posts and move on to something else (as I imagine that they also do with my occasional raves and rants). On the other hand, you proudly posted photos of your spare tire mount (some may consider that an option), a basket full of rags (what gives with that?), and you have mentioned in more than one post about your prized assemblage of trophies (how many of us in this hobby are in it for the fun as opposed to the awards?)

I have looked through your posts here on this forum, and there is no argument that you have offered valuable technical advice in the past, and I would imagine that you have some loyal fans. However, if you are going to bug out (your words; “I’m done. Again it’s not you (manxclub) it’s me. Lastmanx lone wolf out”), just bug out and be done with it.

But here’s the deal, lastmanx, and I mean this seriously; if you pop back up again here on either this or any other forum, and if you decide to offer positive advice based on your technical knowledge or experience, I for one would be supportive and cool with that. In fact, I believe your input would be totally welcome by the masses. You can either choose to pass your knowledge on to those that may be hanging around at your next oil change, or you can use this dreaded technology to spread your word out to those on a wider plain. Either way, I expect that our hobby will last at least a few more years.
Gary Holbrook
Manx Club Member #2831
East Coast Dune Buggies
Coastal North Carolina

"It's a buggy not a space shuttle...." Dale M.

Check out my skydiving, bungee jumping, and dune buggy videos on Youtube