kit car show ?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
lastmanx

kit car show ?

Post by lastmanx »

I was thinking about going (driving my buggy) to the kit car event. what's the deal? I m talking estimated cost of event ,hotel cost, and time needed (meaning days needed to travel there and back). I don't get the facebook stuff or computer stuff in general. Basically I'm wondering what happens there, and is it worth my vacation time to go there. I usually use all my vacation time for relaxing beach driving. I only use this manx site for info. To be clear what roads (routes) are taken, when and who is going, are you planning to meet and travel with the Massachusetts Deserter owners group (who sometimes go there). If so I would probably leave with them,(as I know them all locally). My Manx is fully capable for the drive, I have a handheld cb radio. I have no cell phone as I am just too cheap (thrifty) to have one. How much fun is this event? As that is my biggest factor in deciding to go. Also are pets welcome,(sally the dune buggy dog;maltese mix, would be coming along with my wife Tracey). If this is a trailer your buggy to the event deal, i'm not interested. Well the sun just came out and it has stopped snowing; so I have to get my buggy out of storage (hibernation) , as it has been mothballed for 5 months. It will need to air out before any drive time. gotta go thanks.
Sparkster

Re: kit car show ?

Post by Sparkster »

If the kit car show you are talking about attending is anything like the shows that have been put on by the Association of Handcrafted Automobiles (http://www.replicarclub.com) of Southern Calif, I pretty sure you will have fun.

I gather the A.H.A. started out doing their shows as fairly low key affairs being not much more than members agreeing to have a pot luck type party at a central meeting place to show off their cars. Eventually the club and interest in these types of cars grew to where they started an annual "Fun Under the Sun" kit car show held in various places, most memorably at Knott's Berry Farm where likely at the peak there might have been up to a hundred cars displayed.

So, being located in SoCal, most people would drive to the show, display their car, walk around to see the other entries or go into the amusement park for a few hours. Vendors would set up displays and pass along valuable info regarding their products or services. There are lots of hotels in the area for those traveling from long distances. There was nearly always a Manx Club contingent of members showing up to display their buggies and hang with for the day. Occasionally Bruce and Winnie would be there thus ratcheting up the interest in the event for us buggy types.

Well, that's how things used to be for the longest time with that show. Unfortunately things change. For whatever reason, the "Fun Under the Sun" kit car show for this year is cancelled. Bummer! So, I think it would be a good idea to get in contact with the organization that is putting on the kit car show that you want to attend and gauge the level of interest that they estimate to have in order to justify your monetary expense and vacation time for going.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

thank you for your response. I believe your probably correct. my trophy cabinet is full, and I wasn't looking for that type of experience. I was more interested in the travel to the show. as I have noticed lately here at the manxclub it would probably be a group of trailered buggys and a support vehicle for the one driven buggy, who will receive a patch for driving it more than mile. i'll head to the beach instead.
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

Before you write off what could be a fun experience....

Your location suggests you were referring to the Carlisle PA show in May, not the So Cal event. If so they are not the same....
There is usually more than a few buggies in attendance, 20 or more that are driven in. There are very few trailer queens associated with the Manx Club. Most members enjoy the ride to, and comraderie of the event. There is always lots to see. I know there are quite a.few scattered around the eastern states and Canada planning to be there.

Admittedly the show is different with the addition of the imports but there is still lots to see.
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

In addition to "hanging out" at the show in the club tent and checking the other cars and swap meet, we take a cruise on Saturday and try to eat as a group on Friday & Saturday night. The campers have a bonfire Friday & Saturday night also. Always a good time, even when it rains! Tom Iacoboni