percieved rarety of value

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
lastmanx

percieved rarety of value

Post by lastmanx »

I just read in the spring 2017 Manx Mania ; the Classic Manx is back! But wait how? Can't be, I own a Signature Series Manx: it is one of 100 last Classic Manx built from 1999-2000. Better call Sal. If my only limited edition series ever offered in the complete history of Meyers Manx co. is no longer limited what's its new value? Oops the rear is flat back so it is a different style body: so it's a new classic manx. I also read how back in 1968 it was not cheap to build a real Manx buggy. You could buy a new car for the same price. So like 1968 as it is today you can build a Manx buggy or a new car costing $20,000 . So the Manx was never an inexpensive vehicle as everyone has told me. I already knew this back in year 2000, when I built my signature series for $15,000 in parts and est. $5,000 labor. So now after 17 years has the value of my Manx gone up or down ? But there is more in value to consider: Rareness (but I never saw a buggy for sale that wasn't rare?) . Build quality, I built mine with all new parts new motor, trans, axles, floors, wiring, body, etc. only because it was easier in 2000 like today (2017) to order new parts in the mail than to expect to find low mileage good condition parts at a local junk yard locally . The frame (chassis) was shortened from a non wrecked straight donor beetle. Low mile value: (30,000 all original by me). Fun value: the Manx was originally intended to be built by the owner, which actually is fun to me and was part of its original value. The after assembly fun value: as originally intended, I use it on the beach sand (wicked fun !) and car shows (many first, second, and third place trophy's way fun) Signature Series upgrades: unknown to most the kit was a super deal ($2500 cost, color choice, build number choice, stainless roll bar, stainless mount hardware, windshield.) Delivery charge of $500 . Yes delivered by Bruce and Winnie themselves. It was too good of a deal to pass up. Well it was to good of a deal: Meyers Manx lost money on every Signature Series built due to cost of manufacture. So I wanted to get mad that the non opening hood Manx model was available again. (I was supposed to have the last). History has shown that it is my hang up and only sours me. The new body is close and different enough for me to get over it. So I'm over it. So why the new body style? It must be cost, the only thing that never changed (its always been expensive ). The cost is $2,200 for a real Manx, not a bad deal in my mind. So now Tracey my wife is thinking about getting one. So my question to members is: do you think it would be of value for me to buy this genuine (no question of authenticity) Manx kit, or buy one of those already built painted Manx (just needing authenticity certificate buggys) I see on e-bay? Does anyone know what shipping cost from CA. to MA. could be for a turnkey manx titled frame and a Classic Manx kit ?
Ed Chenal

Re: percieved rarety of value

Post by Ed Chenal »

I would have to say that it is usually a better value to buy what someone else has built rather than building a buggy yourself, especially if you are paying to have all the work done. That said, there is something personal about having a hand in the building of your buggy. Years ago, I took my first buggy completely apart and had someone else rebuild the engine, rebuild the transmission and build me a roll cage and bumpers. Then, I put everything back together with new or rebuilt parts and rewired it. It is an experience I'll never forget. Currently, I working on a full length pan buggy. Again, I'm having the engine, transmission and roll cage work done by those that know how. I will assemble it, drive it and repair it.