Manx Side Pods

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
jeesley

Manx Side Pods

Post by jeesley »

I'd like to add side pods to my 2014 Manx. Meyers warned that new pods might not match my Apple Red metal flake since now 3 years old. Any experience out there with match? What about making side pods different color - gunmetal grey flake, anyone ever seen that and if so, how did they look? Pics?
VW Aircooled Society

Re: Manx Side Pods

Post by VW Aircooled Society »

jeesley wrote:I'd like to add side pods to my 2014 Manx. Meyers warned that new pods might not match my Apple Red metal flake since now 3 years old. Any experience out there with match? What about making side pods different color - gunmetal grey flake, anyone ever seen that and if so, how did they look? Pics?
Take your buggy to an Auto Body Supplies store where they also sell paint. There is usually a "Paint Match Expert" .. they will match the paint on your buggy to the pint or quart they will sell to you. It can be a 2 stage paint ( Basecoat & Clearcoat) in Nason, PPG, Automotive Art, BASF, Spies Hecker or whatever brand they use. An Auto Body shop can do this for you.
Products Manager @ VW Aircooled Society
Innovative Products: http://www.VWAircooledSociety.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'64 Manx Classic Dune Buggy
'67 Split Window Bus
'66 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug
'69 Bay Window Weekender Bus
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Keep in mind that paint matching is an art, so it is hit and miss to match a color exactly. I was very fortunate when I had to have the front of our buggy repaired that the paint matched exactly. Even the fiberglass guy was a bit surprised it matched so well.
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

And metalflake just compounds the problem.... the original finish was a gel coat sprayed into a mold. The paint will be on top of the component. You are most likely to get different application rates than the gel coat so the.appearance of the flake is almost certainly going to be different.
Good luck! Show us the end result when you're done.
BTW....i wouldn't take Bruce's advice, he's only been doing this for 55+ yrs!
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
Mike-Presley

Post by Mike-Presley »

Not a buggy but silver with red looks good