Can you identify this guy?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
mykee50

Can you identify this guy?

Post by mykee50 »

Hello, Guy's & Gal's, I finally got out to look at this little guy in person. It's my friend's, he's in no hurry to sell it but offered it to me for $5K. It's built on a 79' pan, 1600 single port, dual solex(?) carbs, & a race cam. It's really clean. With that said, I'm looking for true Meyers Manx and it can't seem to find any tags anywhere. I did see a spot where the plate might have been under the dash on the firewall. There are a couple of pop-rivets and what looks to be where a plate was (see pics). The chrome trim is stuck on the outside only the actual fiberglass is pretty thick.

Anyway, what do you more experienced members think?

Thanks, Mike

mykee50

Re: Can you identify this guy?

Post by mykee50 »

Just a few more pictures...

Here is a link to all the pictures...

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtFl7kwxhMY34QrLmg8oaHaLyOgp
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

the hood does not have the center bulge where the manx emblem would mount; so I say not a real manx. I don't want to nag but you can buy a real manx from the manx store. if building a buggy is out of your skill level you could buy the red buggy and swap every mechanical part over to the new manx body. you need to understand there were decades that passed where nobody cared about fiberglass buggys even real manx's so many got neglected, you will have a difficult time finding a real manx and need to be real careful as crooks are eager to sell a fake as the popularity of buggys has returned. I don't intend to be a smartass by suggesting you buy a new manx body then swap to a built frame, it is really the best and possibly the easiest way to get a real manx. I have been into buggy's starting in 1989 and trust me nobody cared about fiberglass buggys of any brand (including Bruce) back then, sandrails were all the rage. I would go to big vw shows and you would be lucky to see 3 buggys of any brand. I bought a signature series manx in 2000 thinking it would be the only time I would be able to get one (as Bruce was 80 years old then). I was wrong as to every ones surprise he went back into business. but any way good luck in your search. sorry to say it wont be easy. keep smiling
Chicago Joe

Post by Chicago Joe »

I believe that Bruce was 74 in 2000.
Joe Spittler - 1118
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

sorry joe , I have bad memory. the point being all manx are hand built so why not get the full experience of building one with a brand new body like in 1968. after you build one you will understand why builders hold onto them, rather than sell.
mykee50

Post by mykee50 »

lastmanx wrote:the hood does not have the center bulge where the manx emblem would mount; so I say not a real manx. I don't want to nag but you can buy a real manx from the manx store. if building a buggy is out of your skill level you could buy the red buggy and swap every mechanical part over to the new manx body. you need to understand there were decades that passed where nobody cared about fiberglass buggys even real manx's so many got neglected, you will have a difficult time finding a real manx and need to be real careful as crooks are eager to sell a fake as the popularity of buggys has returned. I don't intend to be a smartass by suggesting you buy a new manx body then swap to a built frame, it is really the best and possibly the easiest way to get a real manx. I have been into buggy's starting in 1989 and trust me nobody cared about fiberglass buggys of any brand (including Bruce) back then, sandrails were all the rage. I would go to big vw shows and you would be lucky to see 3 buggys of any brand. I bought a signature series manx in 2000 thinking it would be the only time I would be able to get one (as Bruce was 80 years old then). I was wrong as to every ones surprise he went back into business. but any way good luck in your search. sorry to say it wont be easy. keep smiling
I always appreciate you insights lastmanx. Thanks!! What if it had nose work done on the hood and the badge area went away? Just a thought. I enjoy the search anyway. I don't know if I really want to put the time and expense into a build. I've owned a hole in the water before and threw a lot of time and money in it. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to buying the best parts out there. I'm going to the Barrett-Jackson auction in January (bucket list). Hopefully there will be Manx or two there. Wow, I'm watching the Las Vegas Barrett-Jackson right now and a 73' VW Thing just sold for $20K, youch!
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

anything is possible under paint. but original is gelcoat. glitterbug company built a great copy of the manx they sold lots, and was why Bruce sued to uphold his patent.he lost. so there are many copies out there even with the emblem bulge. the lost Meyers id tag is the oldest trick in the book. if its real why would you remove it? good luck in your search you have a tall order to fill. check out the history and archive section of this sight to learn all you can because since day one fakes were being created.back in the 1980's with japenese emblems fake chevelle ss were everywhere. I know because my dad and me had one. we of course we did not buy or sell it as real, but everyone put the ss emblems on. my crocked buddy made and sold a fake got sued and lost his shirt on it. a valuable lesson was learned. happy hunting and remember for now you could buy a real manx body weather you build it or not; just saying :)
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

I'm not an expert And only sharing my experience. What I can tell you is that I recently purchased a untagged (authenticated by Bruce and Winnie) Manx with no bump on the hood. The original blue metal flake had been repainted twice and I decided to strip it down to the original gel coat. What I found explained why there was no hood bump. Not sure why, but some dummy cut the bump off...

John & Sonya Kieslich

Post by 1856 »

Hmmm interesting?
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

well there you have it. maybe someone removed the id tag and removed the bump to disguise the original manx. I got my original manx ss from Bruce, his wife Winnie helped me carry it out of the trailer and into my borrowed pick up truck. so I know for sure I have a real one. I can only suggest what has worked for me, and that is to buy from the original manufacturer with id tag intact and signed receipt. with that said I also actually like building dunebuggys knowing every single part nut , bolt is correctly put together by me; so I have no excuse or anyone else to blame if there is an issue. I just got back from driving in real beach sand and highway driving of about 250 miles, with some rain and traffic with no problems. the ss manx and all parts are 16 years old with 34 thousand miles. there was a smile on my face for every mile driven. I am always proud to say I am the original owner and builder and that it does drive offroad in beach sand. it is a nice feeling of accomplishment that was the original intent of the invention of the manx that not everyone can relate to. I will probably never sell it. it cost me $15000.00 in parts and estimate of $5000.00 in my labor to build. I am often asked if it is for sale and at what price; I usually say yes for $50,000.00. that price has never been met and usually dismisses the interest. but good luck in your hunt you may get lucky, I still think your doing it the hard way. keep smiling and buggy on!
AMAC1680

Post by AMAC1680 »

I've found three original owner manx in the new honey holes in these parts, over 55 communities.
Friends tell me when they see a buggy in garage and I try to "vist" the owners. All three have sat for years.

Only one of the three was able to be purchased to date but the others day will also come. Lots of cool stuff in old guys garages.....

AMAC
I never met a buggy I didn't like, or didn't try to buy!
mykee50

Post by mykee50 »

Thanks Guy's!! I'm looking at the yellow "confirmed" Manx over on Bring-a-Trailer right now. It's over by Boise so not too far to bring home on a trailer.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-meyers-manx/
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

A strange familial name connection.....
My dad's older brother and business partner was named Dennis Hill. He is long gone now, as is my dad, but both were instrumental in my interest in "building things", both taught me a lot. They were both Key components of a 17 yr old building a Manx as his 1st major car project in 1969.
Ya, I AM that old!
No, there is no connection to the Idaho gentleman other than name.
Thanks Dad, and uncle Den....
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502