Original gelcoat under bad paint job; can it be revived?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
jhkinca

Original gelcoat under bad paint job; can it be revived?

Post by jhkinca »

There are some areas of paint that are flaking off; what lies beneath looks really good. I know what is hidden can be a mystery. I used 000 steel wool in a few inconspicuous locations. I was very careful when the blue would surface. I've attached some pictures; is this a chore I will regret or be greatly rewarded.

Behind front licsense plate

Corner of hood

Fender bump at rear seat

Spare tire well
John & Sonya Kieslich
lastmanx

Re: Original gelcoat under bad paint job; can it be revived?

Post by lastmanx »

short answer is no. I say that because buggys usually get painted when gelcoat goes bad or body is damaged (collision). its less likely they wanted a color change. but you never know, the body may be ok. look underneath for fiberglass repair areas. behind license plate and rear well area tend to be more protected from uv sun damage so hard to tell. the brown then white colors when sanded indicate at one time it got a decent repaint. brown and white indicate sealer and primer both needed for good paint quality. strip it all off and see what you got, you can't leave it patchy. I would anticipate a new paint job. the paint on it now could be decades old. good luck hope for the best.