Making a Quieter Exhaust System for our Dune Buggies

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
VW Aircooled Society

Making a Quieter Exhaust System for our Dune Buggies

Post by VW Aircooled Society »

Hey Fellas

I just recently bought this 64 Manx Dune Buggy for $1,800.00 in non running condition but everything is all there.. I am rebuilding the motor to a 1641cc

Looking over the exhaust systems i thought of not using the standard exhausts most people use with actually are not good performers and not enough back pressure for the motor.. so it is best to go with a 4 into 1 collector.

This is what i had in there which is just about what you see everyone have.

Initially i thought this following unit would go nicely with its upward 2" exhaust stinger

and my thought was to have a baffle silencer and a flapper

But then there is the issue of water getting in it and the noise would be a bit much... so then now is Plan B

This Empi Stainless Steel Exhaust is about $350.00+ which is up there in price

So i was chatting with an Aussie on facebook last week and he suggested using Hayabusa mufflers but that would require making a custom 3 bolt flange and it would take away from the aesthetics of my dune buggy..

So i decided on getting the Empi 3462 Comp Exhaust, 1-1/2" w/ U-Bend 2" OD Stinger in Chrome for $138.00

Attach a 2" OD M2 Performance Stainless Steet Muffler and curved tip outlet on Ebay for $55.00 Free Shipping

The 2 " chrome clamp is only $12.99 FREE SHIPPING

So my total for this quieter exhaust system is $205.99

Here is the video of a friend who has this same setup

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztrgd8Sgz2I[/youtube]
Last edited by vincent9993 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed announcement tag
Products Manager @ VW Aircooled Society
Innovative Products: http://www.VWAircooledSociety.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'64 Manx Classic Dune Buggy
'67 Split Window Bus
'66 Maserati Blue Oceano Bug
'69 Bay Window Weekender Bus