Big Bad Brakes! Wow.

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Timinator

Big Bad Brakes! Wow.

Post by Timinator »

My buggy was built on a '54 chassis and thus was "complete" with '54 drum brakes all these years. Which "could" be fun when slamming on the brakes because you never really knew where you're going to end up. Kind of a pump an hope scenario. We'll those days are gone for ever. I installed a complete 4 wheel AirKewld Wilwood dicc brake kit; drilled rotors, Wilwood Calipers, Airkewld hubs, new master, lines, emergency brake, etc,. I have absolutely AMAZING brakes for the first time in 35 years. Here's a couple of pic's of the buggy with the brakes.

langan

Re: Big Bad Brakes! Wow.

Post by langan »

Nice to able to stop. What kit is that? Calipers look more like Empi? Are the disks bolted to alum. hats
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

do your front wheels lock up and skid. I ask as I knew a guy with karman ghia disc brakes on his t style buggy that did and he couldn't find a solution. he did have rear drums. if they don't lock up could you explain why, as I want to learn. thanks
Timinator

Post by Timinator »

It's Airkewld's kit with the Wilwood calipers. The rest is all their machined stuff. The fronts haven't locked up yet. It doesn't have a proportioning valve, which I thought was interesting, but so far it seems very balanced. Maybe because when you tromp on the brakes a lot of the weight goes to the front tires and they are pretty big and sticky. The link below is "probably" the kit, but when I bought it about a year ago is was more money. My chassis is a '54 Beetle and that's the only one I see for that application.
The hubs are aluminum but it's real HD and the wheel lugs go through from behind.

http://www.airkewld.com/Classic-VW-Comp ... p/4000.htm

lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

thanks for info. looks like a very good complete kit.
croakintowd

Post by croakintowd »

if you are going to go off roading, you will need a proportioning valve. i put an adjustable valve in the front brake circuit of my buggy. When i'm on the street I set it up so the bias is balanced front & rear. When off road, I set it so the bias is to the rear (I basically turn the front brakes off).
if you find it gets squirrely while braking on wet, or dirt roads, I recommend an adjustable proportioninv valve.
The parts and istallation you have look great!

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2