how many club members drive offroad or oversand

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
lastmanx

how many club members drive offroad or oversand

Post by lastmanx »

I have seen a lot of members buggys are "street buggys" and it seems that is the trend these days. I live in Massachusetts and can drive in my buggy easily to the Atlantic ocean. So I get it that if you don't live on the coast you probably don't go to the beach. I have been beach driving since 1991 before the Manx club started and in a time nobody cared about dune buggys. I figured out how to do it; after being constantly asked if I went on the beach at every car show, and cruise night. Yes I got stuck the first time I snuck out on the beach with my "street buggy". Luckily I got towed out by a nice man with a 4x4 who I gave $50.00 to just in time before a ranger came by threatening me with big fines and stern lecture. So I got tall tires, mounted the required spare tire and other items, and got a $120.00 permit. Yes I got stuck the first time I stopped. The recommended 4x4 tire pressure was 15 psi. I wanted off the beach. Well 5 minutes later a 4x4 was passing by and stopped to help. He didn't get out of his truck, he said to put my tow strap (required for permit) onto his trailer hitch and he would tow me to the front beach which is supposed to be firmer.All for free. Well it wasn't firmer. Luckily 1 minute later another dune buggy came from the other direction. I flagged him down. He explained dunebuggys require even less psi. He used only 8 psi. It worked,and I have been oversand driving ever since.3298 my "street buggy" that got stuck.3248 the same buggy now street and oversand. So anyway my point if any is that all dunebuggys can be modified with taller tires to go offroad and I was wondering how many members go offroad weather desert, mountains, woods, or beach. I also wonder how many members want to but need help, advice on how to do it. As I can to help with tips if people want to. I have many trophys 3rd 2nd and 1st from many years of car shows. It was fun and I learned almost everything on vw dunebuggys from others at shows. I started out 20 years ago the biggest newbie you ever met. But I have the most fun driving on the beach in a dunebuggy. I drive it 3 hours in heavy summer traffic to the beach as is only lowering tire pressure to 6 1/2 psi.3338 Buggy on Larry H. 8)
vincent9993

Re: how many club members drive offroad or oversand

Post by vincent9993 »

We drive our on the beach and offroad whenever the opportunity arises. We just drive it on the street to get to the offroad part...

Moab

Pismo beach, CA

Outer Banks (Atlantic)

Ok so it's not extreme offroading like what some of our members will be doing in Stagecoach, CA next month but we've taken the red buggy on the Orange run following Bruce around the fire trails in Big Bear before heading back home...
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

With our experience running with the club on the West coast, I'd say that the number of buggies run off-road vs. street-only is about 3 to 1, be it running in the desert, mountains or beach. The nice thing about the club is that there is something for everyone. On-road or off, easy to extreme. And there is always a helping had nearby, be it for a build issue, a breakdown, or just advice on how to get around a rock in the road. :mrgreen:

manxvair

Post by manxvair »

Dirt, Sand, Street drive it where ever I can.

Pismo beach Calif

Anza Borrego, Calif
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

So many dunes...So little time...I drop the street tires (all 4 of them) to 3lbs...We have a blast at Pismo, Coos Bay, OR, and Florence, OR...

Water also...

Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

vincent9993 wrote:We drive our on the beach and offroad whenever the opportunity arises. We just drive it on the street to get to the offroad part...

Moab

Pismo beach, CA

Outer Banks (Atlantic)

Ok so it's not extreme offroading like what some of our members will be doing in Stagecoach, CA next month but we've taken the red buggy on the Orange run following Bruce around the fire trails in Big Bear before heading back home...
thanks for the response the video surprised me that you would drive the strictly street manx as you did, very impressive. I was aware you drive all over the usa but I did think only street.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

5150bossman wrote:With our experience running with the club on the West coast, I'd say that the number of buggies run off-road vs. street-only is about 3 to 1, be it running in the desert, mountains or beach. The nice thing about the club is that there is something for everyone. On-road or off, easy to extreme. And there is always a helping had nearby, be it for a build issue, a breakdown, or just advice on how to get around a rock in the road. :mrgreen:

thanks for the response, 3 to 1 is good info. just to be clear I posted the question to see if members needed advice or help to prep for offroad,as 20 years ago I first was a street buggy guy and then wanted more.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

OldManx wrote:15571560

OFF-ROAD, whenever possible.(sand too)..pavement is just to get there :crazy
thanks for the response. I now have your buggy attitude, its a sickness with no cure. I would like to spread it to others, it can be contagious.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

manxvair wrote:Dirt, Sand, Street drive it where ever I can.
Pismo beach Calif
Anza Borrego, Calif
thanks for the response. I find nothing more satisfying than using a buggy I built for the purpose it was built for. your pictures seem to agree.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

FulsGld wrote:So many dunes...So little time...I drop the street tires (all 4 of them) to 3lbs...We have a blast at Pismo, Coos Bay, OR, and Florence, OR...

Water also...

thanks for the response. please tell me you made it out of the water: that photo is just nuts. you must be having so much fun.
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Yep, we made it out of the water. However, due to the low sides the water is running through the buggy. My wife (it's her buggy) was screaming and laughing her head off. She loves this stuff...

Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

FulsGld wrote:Yep, we made it out of the water. However, due to the low sides the water is running through the buggy. My wife (it's her buggy) was screaming and laughing her head off. She loves this stuff...

When I built my buggy I used new floors and did not want to drill drain holes in them. I had drilled drain holes in previous buggys. The first week long trip to the dunes had a rainy day: which means we go souvenir shopping, we have a fabric top but water seeps through. We came out of the store to find a inch of rainwater in it. It sloshed back and forth every time I braked all the rest of the week. The drain holes were drilled the day we got back. I now always drill holes in every vw. The water drains out and the floors don't rust away. Great to hear you had no issues and the smiles say it all. Buggy on!
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Like most buggy owners out here in California, we have great variety of terrain to drive on!!! Our buggy "Xena", has been driven 86,000+ miles in the last 16 years & probably 40% has been off road!!! Though we run local streets, blvds & freeways, off road is our favorite, whether it is the sand dunes at Pismo Beach, the many trails of adventure in the Mojave & the Anza-Borrego Deserts or up on some mountain trail!!!
I've been driving in the sand at Pismo Beach since 1968 & absolutely love it!!! I've never really been stuck in a 2 wheel drive vehicle, other than one time a number of years ago, but was extracted quite easily!!! LOL
Most folks that are new to f/g buggies, are very reluctant to drop the air pressure in their buggy's tires!!! But... once they "learn", their level of FUN FUN FUN climbs up several notches!!! LOL Here are a few photos of Xena having fun at different locations...

3042 Xena down by the beach here in Ventura, CA.
3045 Xena out on EP15 in Mojave Desert.
3038 Xena & I leading a group on a Mojave Adventure.
3013 Three generations of Meyers Manx buggies.
2202 My camp at Dove Springs north of Mojave.
2195 OldManx's Meyers Manx that was determined by Bruce Meyers to be one of the first "pan" Manx's!
2180 Yup... one of our encounters with snow.
2154 Xena parked at home after running errands.

So you can see we take Xena everywhere... well she graciously takes us!!! LOL I'm "in the process" of redoing her a bit... a reverse-rotation 6 cylinder air-cooled Corvair engine & a bunch of other little things!!!
Thank you for your recommendations about dropping the psi in your buggy tires!!! It can never be talked about too much!!! LOL My wife & I hope to drive Xena to the East Coast sometime in the future... maybe we'll get to meet you & all of the other East Coast Buggy Funatics!!! LOL
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

ManxManiac wrote:Like most buggy owners out here in California, we have great variety of terrain to drive on!!! Our buggy "Xena", has been driven 86,000+ miles in the last 16 years & probably 40% has been off road!!! Though we run local streets, blvds & freeways, off road is our favorite, whether it is the sand dunes at Pismo Beach, the many trails of adventure in the Mojave & the Anza-Borrego Deserts or up on some mountain trail!!!
I've been driving in the sand at Pismo Beach since 1968 & absolutely love it!!! I've never really been stuck in a 2 wheel drive vehicle, other than one time a number of years ago, but was extracted quite easily!!! LOL
Most folks that are new to f/g buggies, are very reluctant to drop the air pressure in their buggy's tires!!! But... once they "learn", their level of FUN FUN FUN climbs up several notches!!! LOL Here are a few photos of Xena having fun at different locations...

2195 OldManx's Meyers Manx that was determined by Bruce Meyers to be one of the first "pan" Manx's!

So you can see we take Xena everywhere... well she graciously takes us!!! LOL I'm "in the process" of redoing her a bit... a reverse-rotation 6 cylinder air-cooled Corvair engine & a bunch of other little things!!!
Thank you for your recommendations about dropping the psi in your buggy tires!!! It can never be talked about too much!!! LOL My wife & I hope to drive Xena to the East Coast sometime in the future... maybe we'll get to meet you & all of the other East Coast Buggy Funatics!!! LOL
You do look to be having fun! I posted this question to show my other New England area East Coast Buggy Funatics that it can be done. So far in 20 years no others are interested. We have many street buggys. Newbies tell me the beach sand will ruin their buggy. Then I point out mine has done it for 20 years with no damage and encourage them to try. Thanks for responding, if you do come east who knows?
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

lastmanx wrote:
ManxManiac wrote:Like most buggy owners out here in California, we have great variety of terrain to drive on!!! Our buggy "Xena", has been driven 86,000+ miles in the last 16 years & probably 40% has been off road!!! Though we run local streets, blvds & freeways, off road is our favorite, whether it is the sand dunes at Pismo Beach, the many trails of adventure in the Mojave & the Anza-Borrego Deserts or up on some mountain trail!!!

You do look to be having fun! I posted this question to show my other New England area East Coast Buggy Funatics that it can be done. So far in 20 years no others are interested. We have many street buggys. Newbies tell me the beach sand will ruin their buggy. Then I point out mine has done it for 15 years with no damage and encourage them to try. Thanks for responding, if you do come east who knows?