NEWBIE BUGGY TIPS: THE 3 MUST READ BOOKS FOR NEWBIES !

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
lastmanx

NEWBIE BUGGY TIPS: THE 3 MUST READ BOOKS FOR NEWBIES !

Post by lastmanx »

the first is " How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive a manual of step by step procedures for the complete idiot "by John Muir. that is his title not mine. I read it when I was a complete idiot and no longer am. this book in easy wording tells you what and how a vw works, how to make repairs, what to worry about and what not. there is a lot in it, lots will be over your head now but read it cover to cover. the second is a "Bentley brand Official Service Manual" for your year buggy. with these two books you can fix a lot by yourself if you want. you read the procedure from the John Muir book and look at the photos in the Bentley book to know what to look at. the Bentley book text is written for pro mechanics and assumes you are trained:your not so you read the idiot book which speaks newbie. The third is "BAJA BUGS & BUGGIES how to prepare vw-based cars for off-road fun and racing." by Jeff Hibbard. this book will spell out differences between vw year parts, which are strong or weak. it will show how and why to modify for strength, so you can off road if you want. read it even if you have a street buggy. these books have been around a long time and won't address the latest technology. but you need to know this stuff. it will allow you to grow out of being a newbie.dune buggy parts rarely come with instructions. they assume you know what to do,the books will help. you need to grow out of being a newbie so you don't get ripped off by others like me. so you don't get ripped off by parts replacement mechanics.(such as buggy intermittent start:starter changed out but only needed terminal cleaned at starter-common scam.) so you don't waste time fixing problems that don't exist because its the first time you saw something new to you. so you don't go around with negative attitudes thinking every buggy is a mess. buggys are meant for fun.they are most fun when they don't break, they always break when pushed beyond their limits,learn the limits,these 3 books are a good solid start. I am not affiliated in any way to these books. I read all of them when I was a newbie and nice experienced buggy people told me to. I listened,20 years later I still refer to them as I can't remember everything. I also developed a pleasure from restoring or completing buggies, I like fixing all the newbie mistakes made to them which usually help drive down purchase price.i'm nobody special if I could do it so can you.keep smiling
ManxBug

Re: NEWBIE BUGGY TIPS: THE 3 MUST READ BOOKS FOR NEWBIES !

Post by ManxBug »

If you are going to rebuild your engine, I would also recommend getting:
How to Rebuild Your Volkswagen air-Cooled Engine (All models, 1961 and up)
http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Volkswage ... 0895862255