Newbie Buggy shopping

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
jhkinca

Newbie Buggy shopping

Post by jhkinca »

So I test drove my fist buggy yesterday and was not impressed. The front end was loose (wheel bearings & tie rods) also had Bilstein gas shocks. The ride was so rough that driving down the street wasn't enjoyable. Felt as if there was a sold bar in place of the shocks. Needless to say, I didn't even attempt a low ball offer. I have owned bugs, square back, and even a bus and don't remember such a harsh ride. Am I expecting too much or was my first ride in a bad buggy? It was a '59 pan with a 1600 single port.
John & Sonya Kieslich
ManxManiac

Re: Newbie Buggy shopping

Post by ManxManiac »

Well... the first thing I would do is check the psi in each tire! Depending on size or tire & wheel it can vary, just as personal preference! Before driving, I'd make sure the seller didn't mind if I adjusted the air pressures to about 12 psi front & 10-12 psi rear! Like I said though... the psi depends on the tire mostly, but also wheel width!
On a regular ol' buggy, it only needs stock oil shocks on the front! It also depends on how many torsion leaves have been removed or modified! Shocks on the rear can vary between stock oil filled to KYB GR2's or I run air shocks!
Once the tire "psi" is set, I'd look at the steering coupler, to make sure it is not coming apart!
These items can greatly effect the buggy's ride & handling!
The rest of it is basically the same as a regular car!
Good Luck & Have FUN FUN FUN!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Thanks for the tips; lower tire pressure makes sence. For the car I drove, I don't think it would have helped. The tires were so old they had painted the side walls black. Pictures made the buggy look great, that actual car was awful. I assume any other buggy will now feel much better. I will keep hunting and look forward to someday enjoying buggy ownership.
John & Sonya Kieslich
langan

Post by langan »

If the body is nice could be a great deal. What ever you buy you will change things. Part of the fun is shopping for upgrades. So if car is poorly offered could be great chance to get into the fun
AMAC1680

Post by AMAC1680 »

Hi new guy so I guess I'll just jump in.
IMO there is no such thing as a low ball. I've found nice ways to throw around low numbers.

If you're looking to buy a guy's showpiece it's one thing a barn find or neglected buggy is another.
If the pan is decent and the body workable I'd throw a number at him. Of course that's if you plan to do the work yourself.

Enjoy your search !

Be Big,
AMAC
I never met a buggy I didn't like, or didn't try to buy!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Many buggy sellers are just trying to get out of the buggy what they spent to put into it. They will think that is a fair price. That's just not feasible. If we tried to sell ours for what we have in it financially, it would be prohibitively expensive (though we have no thoughts of selling - It's just too fun!). No need to settle on the first buggy you see unless it is exactly what you are looking for (just stick to what you believe is a reasonable offer). Another buggy in better condition at a better price is just around the corner (or maybe across the state... We drove from So Cal to Sacramento to get ours...). Just be ready and willing to go look at it. And if it's not the one, don't feel obligated to buy either (I went with a friend from LA to San Diego to look at one, and drove away without buying it). And like was said above, once you get it, you will have to work through whatever problems it has that weren't apparent when you first looked at it, and then you will begin to add your own personal touches to it. So don't be too stuck on specific items when you buy that can be added later.
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

I agree with all comments; at $5000 I do not expect a project front to back top to bottom. I will be looking at another buggy next weekend, hope it goes well since it's a real Manx. I'm in Southern California and feel it shouldn't be too difficult to find what I'm looking for. Are there any Manx meetings in the near future that my wife and I can attend?

Thanks and look forward to the fun a buggy will bring to our outdoor adventures...
John & Sonya Kieslich
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

John,

At manxclub.com, the manx club home page, there are several menus and postings of various club information.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

"Meetings" per-se, no. The last Club event/run for the year on the West Coast was at Topaz Lake a couple of weeks ago and Manx on the Banks on the East Coast is next week (Hurricane permitting). The Manx Club Calendar will show what events are upcoming for 2016 (which have yet to be posted). Some are club sponsored (which require an entry fee) and some are unofficial runs (which do not have any entry fee) put on by club members, or are major buggy or off-road type events listed for general knowledge to members should they like to attend. Which ever the case, hope to see you on a run sometime in the near future. :D
Timinator

Post by Timinator »

I'll throw this in for whatever it's worth. The single best thing I ever had done to my buggy was having a fabricator weld in the rest of the roll cage into the front of the buggy. All I had initially was the roll hoop behind the seat. By doing this it prevents the VW pan from twisting. That stabilized the buggy SO MUCH it went from a bouncy, all over the road kind of ride, to go-kart quality handling with just that modification. I had him put a bar over to the steering column to stabilize it too. Personally, unless you're looking to build and heavily modify a buggy yourself, I wouldn't buy one again without a cage installed instead of just a bar.

jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Thanks for all the info. I've now been in a few different buggies and they have been much better. I am hooked...I'm in no hurry and when the right buggy comes along I will know what to expect.
John & Sonya Kieslich
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Almost a year has passed; we prioritized buying a house before a buggy. Until today, I picked up this running project at a good price. I know it's not a Manx but the goal is to have fun and not go broke doing so. Can anyone tell me the body manufacture? Under the back seat it has the battery well and open area similar to Manx. Also, the title is SPCNS with 0000 as the year. The pan VIN first 4 digits are 1074xxxx; is this enough to determine the year. I'm sure I will have more questions but glad to be a buggy owner in a state the I can drive year round in.Image
John & Sonya Kieslich
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

Well, kind of funny looking back at my first post; a lot has changed in 2 years.

1) This red buggy was authenticated as an early pre-tag Manx and now goes by the name of 'Lil Blue'
Since acquiring Lil Blue, it has been to Pismo, Glamis, Lake Tahoe, Topaz, Laughlin, Borrego, Big Bear, Baja, Glen Helen, and many
other on an off road adventures

2) We now own Tow'd #1009

3) Just acquired Berry Mini T #298

4) Have two other buggies in the garage that aren't even mine.

What the He!! happened?????

Anyone else want to revisit their first post?
John & Sonya Kieslich
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

"What the He!! happened?????"

You've been bitten by the bug(gy) craze!
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
jhkinca

Post by jhkinca »

manxvair wrote:"What the He!! happened?????"

You've been bitten by the bug(gy) craze!
I do recall you saying it doesn’t stop at 1 buggy.
As long as you have more buggies than I; it’s all good.
John & Sonya Kieslich