Huge Mistake, Bruce and Winnie Meyers

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
MILO 62

Huge Mistake, Bruce and Winnie Meyers

Post by MILO 62 »

I know your in business to first of all make money and second to promote your name and your products. I'm sure you want to have fun doing it also.
I write this absolutely overwhelmed that a real Meyers Manx is not worth more than it is. I have restored them to show quality. Everything new or rebuilt and I can hardly get a fair price for them. They are compared to all the copy cat, pieces of junk out there, for $5,000. I see real Manx's, the new and old ones, hardly being able to sell for anything.
Why, didn't you ever realize this. My suggestion is to start having real Manx only events. That would make people want a real Dune Buggy, a Meyers Manx. After all, at a Super Chevy Show that is held across the country, Ford's, Chrysler's and AMC's are not allowed. They are promoting the Chevrolet name. If you would at least consider this, I'd appreciate it.
Milo Manx from MEYERSMANXFORSALE.COM
When leaving a reply, let us know if you have a real Manx!
Last edited by MILO 62 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Chenal

Re: Huge Mistake, Bruce and Winnie Meyers

Post by Ed Chenal »

Have you ever considered the diplomatic corps as a career?
MILO 62

Post by MILO 62 »

Ed Chenal wrote:Have you ever considered the diplomatic corps as a career?
I wonder if you have a real Manx? If yes, aren't they the only buggy? Time to think outside the box!
Ed Chenal

Post by Ed Chenal »

MILO 62 wrote:
Ed Chenal wrote:Have you ever considered the diplomatic corps as a career?
I wonder if you have a real Manx? If yes, aren't they the only buggy? Time to think outside the box!
Have you considered organizing a "Manx Only" event yourself?
MILO 62

Post by MILO 62 »

Ed Chenal wrote:
MILO 62 wrote:
Ed Chenal wrote:
Have you considered organizing a "Manx Only" event yourself?
I don't have the means to do it myself. I bet if Bruce, contacted the 300 that are on the registry and let the word out for those who are not authenticated to attend, that even if 1/3 showed up, it would be the best event ever! If I didn't have a Manx and heard about this, it would make me want a Meyers Manx. P.S. Do you have a real Manx?
Chicago Joe

Post by Chicago Joe »

Larry,

I believe that one of several reasons that Bruce & Winnie let the Manx Club go to being a member organized and run was all of the hassles. I know that both of them seem a lot less stressed since the membership took over in July 2008

I also know of just a few members who are in the hobby to make money. Most of us just belong and participate because we enjoy what we are doing. Before you say that I do not know what I am saying, be advised that I have been very, very active
as a member since 1999. If you want change in the hobby, then get active and initiate change.

Joe
Ed Chenal

Post by Ed Chenal »

Milo 62,
First, I agree with Chicago Joe. If you wish to implement a new policy/procedure for the Club, you'll have to get involved to make it happen.

Second, I do not own an original Manx. For the past 14 years, I've been driving my DuneRunner buggy at Manx Club Runs. Bruce doesn't seem to mind and as I age, the low side entry on my buggy is a plus. I, like some others, would encourage Bruce to design a buggy with lower entry sides since none of us are getting younger. Bruce has the talent to design one with sleeker lines than my buggy.
MILO 62

Post by MILO 62 »

Chicago Joe wrote:Larry,

I believe that one of several reasons that Bruce & Winnie let the Manx Club go to being a member organized and run was all of the hassles. I know that both of them seem a lot less stressed since the membership took over in July 2008

I also know of just a few members who are in the hobby to make money. Most of us just belong and participate because we enjoy what we are doing. Before you say that I do not know what I am saying, be advised that I have been very, very active
as a member since 1999. If you want change in the hobby, then get active and initiate change.

Joe
I believe that running a club with events can be a hassle, even more so when your up in age. I also agree being a member of the club is invaluable for insights and camaraderie. But, I ask why the Manx Club refuses to properly acknowledge the real Manx owners. They love their Manx, they know the history and they know it was the first dune buggy. I realize there are people wanting to make a couple bucks for their trouble and effort and there are people just having to sell for one reason or another, but, why is it a major financial loss? Why does the club group all buggies into the same class? It is a shame to see a new Manxter 2+2, DualSport or the original Manx 1's or 2's sell for no more than the other want-to-be's. Sure the Manx club has a registry, but, without recognition, why bother. I know this upsets real Manx owners and they are hoping it will change. HAS THE CLUB FORGOTTEN IT'S ROOTS? P.S. You never told us if you have a real Manx.
Chicago Joe

Post by Chicago Joe »

Larry,

I own both a KickOut, and a Manxter. I also have the title for a Manx. I have also been honored to have been on the Manx Club Board of Directors from 2008 thru 2014. I have been into Meyers buggys since June of 1968.

I think that before you get to far down the road here you need to do a bit of research, because there are some things that you are saying that are not exactly true or correct. For example: what do you mean by "Why does the club group all buggies into the same class?" When did the Manx Club start a registry? I do not believe that real Manx owners are upset and hoping for change.

I do believe that all buggy owners are looking to have a place and a club that will them am chance to better enjoy their buggy. Look around and you will see that the Manx Club encourages the off-roader, the street buggy owner, the owner of a Manx clone, and even those who love to do the BAJA thing. We even have room for the occasional pristine trailer queen.

There are Club members who put a lot of effort, time & money into making the Club a better place. The Club has a quarterly newsletter/magazine which is mailed to over 1000 active members, and Club sponsors around the world. Back in the old days the Club would have 3 or 4 events in Southern California or Mexico, Now we have the option to attend events allover the USA and an occasional event in Mexico. In 2015, I lost track of all the events when it hit 9. Cross country runs, off-roading, a rally/race in BAJA, the Quail Event in Carmel, CA. Just about anything that could be of interest is happening.. All a member has to do is get crawl out from under their rock and involved.

The Manx Club has not forgotten it's roots, it is growing and introducing the membership to new and exciting ways to enjoy their buggys. It is time to get off the porch and enjoy your buggy and expand your horizons.

Joe

PS: This statement is the opinion of Joe Spittler. It may or may not reflect the goal/position of the Manx Club Board of Directors.
Edited 08/30/15 for spelling errors jrs
Last edited by Chicago Joe on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scott-Drolet

Post by Scott-Drolet »

Hi Milo,

I think you're completly ignoring the whole point of a Manx . . . It's a car that you build with your own hands. Unlike the Chevys and Fords you spoke of earlier, the majority of those wanting to own a Meyers Manx want to build it themselves. Its pretty easy for someone who likes to wrench to look at a $20K buggy and say "I could build that for less, and I'd PREFER to do it myself". The balance of the people that don't have the time to build one, will purchase one and pay more for it. However, those people make up a very small population and it takes a long time to find them and market to them. I did notice you recently sold your blue manx for $19K. That seems like a great sale, and is probably in the top 5% in terms of sales price. Congratulations! Personally, I'd be extremely happy with that price. (And, yes, I own Meyers Manxes, including a Monocoque and a Utility, and I don't think of those two buggies as investment cars that will skyrocket in value. I think of them as beloved family members that my family will have to sell once I'm dead:-) Other Manxes I buy and sell as the need arises. I have a Manxter for sale now, but, it's expensive and won't sell anytime soon. That's OK.

Having a "Meyers Manx Only" club may or may not increase the sales value, but I know one thing it would positively do. . . and that would be to crush the spirit of the club. I've owned other marques of cars, and found that the more expensive the car, the higher the owners held their noses in the air. The "fun" of the event was completely sucked out of the event by the arrogant attendees, all who thought their cars were better than their peers. The environment was terribly depressing and cold. And, really, the cars sold for what the market would bear. The club had no effect on the sales price. Think about it. Would a Vette, a Cobra, a Viper, a Lambo, a Ferrari or whatever have its value increased because they belonged to a club? I don't see it.

Finally, I frankly can't see how you would feel comfortable blaming the artist, designer, mechanical engineer, and visionary who invented the dune buggy for your inability to turn a profit on reselling one of his creations. I don't think that was Bruce's goal . . . to make sure Milo makes a buck 50 years down the line. No, Bruce's goal was to create fun, and he did that spectacularly!

The free market determines the price, not the club.
Ed Chenal

Post by Ed Chenal »

Milo 62,
Joe and Scott reflect the attitude of the vast majority of Club Members. If we took a show of hands, you would find few if any in your camp. Enjoy your buggy.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Milo, I went to your site and looked at the Manx in question and it might be "show quality" but it certainly isn't "restored". I see a 1969 Manx but very little if anything on it is correct from that period. I see Japanese seats, modern wheels and tires, a billet gas filler and even a tilt steering wheel!!! If it was actually judged as a classic car restoration, seriously it might get 15 out of 100 points.

I saw that Frizzy sold that time capsule early Manx to a California collector. He didn't say what he got for it but I bet its more than it was originally listed for when he bought it which was $20K. I see that Frizzy had the good sense not to ruin it with a bunch of billet bling. If you want a high dollar classic car, its going to have to be classic, not just built with new stuff ordered on the internet.

I do have one suggestion for the club though. I agree entirely with what's been said above about this club being inclusive for all fiberglass buggies and classic metal ones. Even so, when this new forum was set up I saw they made sections for Classic Manxes, Tow'ds, Manxters, SRs and even Burros? I see a section for "My Buggy", where you can describe your own build, but what I don't see is the section for a person to just make a general post about Kyotes, Bounty Hunters, Mini-Ts, Imps, Scorpions, Humbugs, Safaris, Glitterbugs or even simply clones.

I was going to start a post about a Kyote that has just been discovered to be one of the one's stolen by the Manson "family" and hidden near the Barker ranch in Inyo County, but I couldn't see the right section to post it.
Lee-Hoffer

Post by Lee-Hoffer »

I have an authentic Manx, unless you don't consider the Signature Series cars to be "real" Manxes.

Personally, I despise the idea of a "Manx only" club or event. Like others have said, the whole purpose of a buggy is to have fun, and something so exclusive is the exact opposite of fun. The Club has not forgotten its roots. When was the first run for the current club, 1996? The club was open to ALL fiberglass buggies right from the start. Now they have included metal bodied buggies, which I fully support. The idea is to have MORE people out there having fun, not less.

Lee

Post by 1856 »

Lee I agree with your insights... The importance of a broad perspective of interactions was a basis of the "Clubs By Laws (CBL)" from the inception. To be all inclusive the CBL encourages the establishment of registration format for different buggy manufactures...
Thanks for your comments,
MnC
aburger01

Post by aburger01 »

Wow, this is an interesting thread. As a new "Manx Club Member" without owning a real Manx, I can only think that Milo's initial Subject was mis-guided. I'm a Northern East Coaster and former Speedster Owner (replica). At the Carlisle PA show, each year, for the past 14 years, I have had my VW Based Speedster at the show and right next to the Speedster group was the Manx Club/Buggy owners group.

I always wanted a Buggy, always, I spent much of my Carlisle days wandering around the show ground as most do admiring all of the vehicles, classics and replicas galore. - I gravitated to the buggy's though, always wanted one. I found that when I walked around the Buggy area, everyone was enjoying themselves without "air". very similar to my Speedster group too, Its the feeling of owning a buggy or a speedster with colleagues and others that have the same interests.

My Speedster was a 69 VW base and titled as such, my buggy is a 70 VW base and titled as such. Milo, I wish you all of the success in the world to sell your vehicle for what "you think it is worth". But, to someone else's comments, Yours isn't even a Manx in a classic build scenario, except for the base fiberglass - which is what a Manx has always been - the best molded fiberglass over a VW Chassis. Yours is on a Berrien tube chassis (which is great by the way, I love the tilt wheel and proper wiper setup, it looks like it would be a blast to drive), but a real classically judged Manx was the best body ever made to adapt on a VW shortened base. But its still a Manx if you do your own frame build too - thats also the beauty of this hobby, you still have your Manx.

I would love to own a Manx Body, love to and may one day find one of the very few made and put it on my chassis, maybe not. But other than a Manx Body, my vehicle is basically the same as most of the others here - and we are all ok with that, from the buggy guys I have met prior.

Its a community, and driving a buggy is a frame of mind, one of the best. Its that feeling that makes these types of groups special. VW is why these work so well. Bruce saw that a long time ago and made something special that one day I hope to put on my VW base. But until I find the proverbial "purple squirrel" and barn gem - I'm happy with my buggy as is and likely for a long time. Good luck selling your car, it is nice !