Buggy Insurance

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
mstokes

Buggy Insurance

Post by mstokes »

I'm looking to buy insurance for my Manx. I want to insure it for the real value and not for the 1963 VW value of the donor car. Any Advice?
I'm located in South Carolina
pongo

Re: Buggy Insurance

Post by pongo »

Our three buggies are insured through Rally Ins.(American Modern Home Insurance Company). All are insured as buggies, with "agreed value", $25,000 combine value for $280 per year. 1-800-543-2644, they will ask you to email: pics of buggy, and a copy of your daily driver insurance Declaration Page.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

Unless it is a strictly street buggy, be sure what ever coverage you get includes being covered off-road as many coverages end when the pavement ends...
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

I am also in South Carolina and mine is I insured with NationWide as a manx dune buggy and at a set value.
Vegas-Roy

Post by Vegas-Roy »

That's interesting. I have my business insurance ($1 million), home and 3 cars, plus an umbrella policy ($1 million) with Nationwide. When I asked about insuring my buggy they said no and the agent offered a Progressive policy that costs me > $400 a year for full coverage. I think it's time to go shopping for insurance.
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

I have had mine insured with NationWide since 2003 as a manx dune buggy. Now about two years ago they reclassified it as a recreational vehicle. I began to question them about the change and why did the cost go down to $80.00 a year. They told it went down because it wasn't driven on the road. I told them it was and they did insure it for road use including liability, collision, and comprehensive and it went back to the same yearly premium.
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

I tried Progressive and they don't insure dune Buggies but they sent me to Haggerty's Ins. co. After applying and sending in payment they denied me coverage stating that they don't insure Dune Buggies.
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

Thanks Pongo.
I called Rally Ins.and am waiting for them to call me with a quote.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

For you guys in South Carolina, where are you? I'm in Irmo, and know of one other here in the Columbia area. Would love to meet some other buggy lovers here in SC. Especially since Loretta will be back from West Virginia soon, and I'll be working on her quite a bit to get her ready to ride!
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

pongo wrote:Our three buggies are insured through Rally Ins.(American Modern Home Insurance Company). All are insured as buggies, with "agreed value", $25,000 combine value for $280 per year. 1-800-543-2644, they will ask you to email: pics of buggy, and a copy of your daily driver insurance Declaration Page.
Thanks. I have bought insurance from these guys. $250 per year, I think that's a minimum charge.
Mstokes
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

abgiles wrote:For you guys in South Carolina, where are you? I'm in Irmo, and know of one other here in the Columbia area. Would love to meet some other buggy lovers here in SC. Especially since Loretta will be back from West Virginia soon, and I'll be working on her quite a bit to get her ready to ride!
Hey
I'm in Simpsonville.
pongo

Post by pongo »

mstokes, that's great. Now get on the road and enjoy that buggy.
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Hey
I'm in Simpsonville.
You're very close to Chris up there. He's in Anderson, and has a few buggies, including Monique, which is Monocoque #7. Great guy!

I'm in Irmo, and know of one other here in the Columbia area. We definitely need to get together sometime!
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

Spoke with my Nationwide agent about increasing the value on the Manx and she told me that Haggarty was just bought by Nationwide and she would check with them. After a couple of days she called and said they would insure it for the value I was looking for but I had to have it authenticated and have proof of the authenticity. I already had that done. The only other requirement was she has to take a picture of the front.