"Who are you?"

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
PowersBuggies

Re: "Who are you?"

Post by PowersBuggies »

Hi, I'm Rebecca Powers, I typically do the posting for both my husband Craig and myself. We are up in Rochester, NY and have been horrible buggy influences in our neck of the woods. Currently we have one Manx clone on the road, a tagged Manx and Tow'd that we are each working on with a second Manx and Tow'd lined up to complete next year. As of today, we have also adopted an Irwin Wrangler. I am also serving to help Marc with the organization of the Manx Over the Falls event coming up. We will be at MOTB this year as well... with at least one buggy! ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Craig and Rebecca
Manx Club #3634
66 Manx/68 Towd - His
67 Tow'd/67 Manx - Hers
67 Dune Buggy - Our Build
69 Empi Imp - Korinne

2016 Goals: Rebecca - Joining the ranks of the Iron Buggy and Long Haul League

***ACCOMPLISHED!***
2015 GOAL: MOTB 2015 HERE WE COME! - With the Tow'd and the Manx!
RedBaronofRedBud

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

I am Tim Byrnes and my wife is Barb. We have two daughters, Kimberly and Melissa. Melissa is in the Chicago area while Kimberly is a college student at Lindenwood University in St Charles, MO. Kimberly is a double major studying acting and anthropology. I work as a controls and instrumentation technician at Baldwin Energy Complex in Baldwin Illinois and Barb works at the local college, Southwestern Illinois College. We live in Red Bud, Illinois (hence part of my name) and have been here for 20 years. We have been collectors of different things over the years but my wife does Crissy dolls and Chatty Cathy where I have done Hot Wheels diecast cars (my fave is the Red Baron...so the handle is decoded now)

We were at a local car show on July 4th and came across two beautiful buggies. So, Barb liked the looks and I just thought I would test the waters and asked her what she thought about us getting one of those. She said, "Yeah!!" So, after I picked myself up off the ground, we talked with the guys (Clay and Dennis) and started the search for our buggy.

After searching for a while, we decided upon a little green buggy we found in Wisconsin.
20130727_095353 (640x480).jpg
20130727_095353 (640x480).jpg (163.14 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
Freshly picked up and on the way to his new home

We brought the little buggy home in boxes and proceeded to rebuild him. We named him Kermit. He was finished by Labor Day so we had a little fun with him. The little engine that was in it could not, so we went back to the garage for a new motor. After that was installed, we had a few months of fun with him.
20131117_142732 (640x480) (500x375).jpg
20131117_142732 (640x480) (500x375).jpg (199.44 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
Calendar pic...month of September 2015

We then heard about the ECVW 14 journey and I asked Barb if she would be interested in it. So, after running numbers and logistics, we decided to go. So, we rebuilt Kermit yet again, and in July we joined the ECVW and went from St Louis to the Pacific Coast and Big Bear in Kermit, via Mt Evans, Pikes Peak, Million Dollar Highway, Four Corners, Vegas, Death Valley and Meyers Manx International.
Top of Pikes Peak (665x497).jpg
Top of Pikes Peak (665x497).jpg (230.13 KiB) Viewed 3691 times
Barb, me, Kimberly and our niece Emily at the top of Pikes Peak

We have been members of the club for a year and look forward to the new adventures to come in our buggy, Kermit.

We are presently building another buggy...a Berry MiniT4 and plan on completing the Red Baron in Spring of 2016 and driving it to Big Bear.

If youre in the St Louis area, look us up. We are part of the BuggyMeisters and are also there. http://www.buggymeisters.com

Tim and Barb Byrnes
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.
langan

Post by langan »

My name is Jim I am new to buggys again. I built 4 Meyers Manx's long ago 1 stock, 2 off road, and one drag car. So now I find out just how much I have forgotten. The fun is still there just now cars and parts are way harder to find. But the fun is in the hunt. 23101141
Last edited by langan on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
MURZI

Post by MURZI »

Michael Murzi here....I know most of you guys. No buggy. South Louisiana. I'm here because I just love to watch the "action and drama". Build away!!!
rich.roy.9

"Who are you?"

Post by rich.roy.9 »

Hello i am richard roy from massachusetts i own a long body buggy dont know maker yet . Currently working on getting my own real meyers manx . Went to manx in the banx last year and it was my best vacation ever . Image

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Last edited by rich.roy.9 on Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
thesandbug77

Post by thesandbug77 »

Hola!

My name's Mike, I've been a Manx Club member since 1996.

Here's a pic of our fuchsia Signature Series Manx #77:

and here's a pic of our new project buggy, Manxter #126:

Cheers!
Last edited by thesandbug77 on Fri May 08, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Mike
hillmotorsports

Re: Who are you?

Post by hillmotorsports »

My name is Paul, better half is Rosemarie...down to one almost 17 yr old daughter left at home, 6 flown the coup!
We are in Morrisburg, Ontario, Canada, see northern NY across the St Lawrence River.
Built a Manx in '69 as my 1st car, and like most here, was stupid enough to not hang on to it. So, 45 yrs later, we finally found a Tow'd in Reno area to tow behind our motor home.1146

Sadly, we were one of the victims of the transport catching fire just east of Chicago.

Have a little more work to do than originally envisioned!

Oh well...nothing limiting us now!
Last edited by hillmotorsports on Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
Mike-Presley

Re:

Post by Mike-Presley »

We're Mike and Lou Ann Presley. We live in Barstow, Calif near the western end of I-40. I've been a Manx club member for many years but only got the buggy finished? a couple of years ago. If you're passing thru, let me know.
langan

Re:

Post by langan »

Nice buggy Mike
calvin

Re:

Post by calvin »

I am Calvin Sanders. My girlfriend, Bev Bell, and I have been to the last couple of Manx On The Banx events and have really enjoyed getting to know everyone. I have been involved with car clubs of one sort or another my entire life. I have autocrossed and road race from before I had a drivers license. As a kid I went with my parents driving on the beach from Virginia Beach down to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. We particularly enjoyed seeing the V8 rail buggys at Penny's Hill north of Corolla NC. It was here that I first saw a blue Manx dune buggy that had been towed from California by a couple on vacation. It was blue with a white canvas top. This had to have been an early production buggy, possibly Chris Lewis' buggy. Maybe that is how it migrated east. Who knows.

Soon after Manx style buggies were all over Virginia Beach, where we lived. I thought they were cool. I got one of the AMT model kits and built one. We moved away from the area for a few years and got into racing cars.

After a life of racing cars and the ups and downs of life, I saw the feature with Alonzo Boden and Bruce Meyers on 101 Cars You Must Drive about 2005. This started my itch to get a dune buggy. I had mostly quit road racing but still was autocrossing locally for fun. I had rediscovered my love for driving on the beach. The idea that I could set up a buggy for fairly mild beach driving and with some adjustability built into it, a change of tires I could take to the autocross course and have fun. From all of my years of autocrossing I had always seen successful Deserter dune buggies at autocross events in the 70's. Some had even won SCCA national championships. So when I started learning more about buggies I kept coming back to a Deserter. So my searches lead me to a Deserter that had been for sale (by different owners) many times.

The buggy's first owner was in Massachusetts. I am not sure if it had a Type IV or a Porsche 6 cylinder. But given the quality of the initial build it could have been either. Everything I have taken apart had been built from the best of everything. Unfortunately since then it has lived in Hew Hampshire, North Carolina (twice) and Massachusetts again. The engine is long gone and some issues have arrived from it sitting since 2000. But the basic buggy is in good condition. I happen to think the Deserter GT (and the Bounty Hunter which is its "sister" buggy) are the only buggies that look as good as the Manx (personal opinion, your mileage may vary).

So now I am trying to restore it. I pay attention to everyone else's builds and have my ideas of what I want to do. As time has gone, I have realized that a second buggy, one for beach and one for autocross might be a better alternative. But for now I need to get this buggy driveable and enjoy it. Hope to see everyone at events this year. This is my buggy. I am sure you have seen it for sale one of the many times it was sold on thesamba.
Oz-Towdster

Re:

Post by Oz-Towdster »

Great story Calvin and as you say it would be easy to build two different cars to suit the racing and beach , but where would the challenge be in that .
That and twice as much money , just tune in the suspension properly and you'll have a great all round car mate .
the only thing that concerns me is that Deserters and Bounty Hunters have pretty poor foward vision in that you sit low and back in them with the nose of the car not visible which has got to make them a challenge to drive in motorkanas etc . anyway just my thoughts , but it will be great to see another great buggy back on the road

Andrew
FulsGld

Re:

Post by FulsGld »

Hey;

I'm Gary Berry and my wife is Diana. Our first buggy was in 1971 when I was in the Navy in Charleston, SC...

Years passed and then FULSGLD came along. 1969 ManxVair...

Finally got to big to get in and out of FULSGLD so found our Turista...

Living Large in Prosser, WA.
jrailer

Re:

Post by jrailer »

My name is Jim Russell I live in Spanish fork Utah 50 miles south of salt lake. I have worked at a vw shop for 28 years. I have had a few bugs, buggies, and rails in my time this is my old manx sold in 95 to get into my house should never have sold it. It still looks as good as the day I sold it. the nerfbars where not chrome when I had it.

now I am building a manxter #154

aBuggymom1

Post by aBuggymom1 »

Now I think we should all google each others usernames!

I am Stacy Smith, Apple Valley so cal, they call me Buggymom for many years. Husband Allen and 3 boys Seth 19, Parker 18, and Levi 16 that continue to support my buggy adventures!

My Yellow (was copper penny) Glitterbug sportman pu (1960 pan, 1835vw) was my Dad's Pete Peterson's toy since the 70s.. he was a machinist at TRW in torrance..most vacations were spent in Baja at Erindira, living off the land, driving the buggy up and down the coast when I was 12yrs old! .fresh lobster on the campfire.. yum!

He gave the buggy to me about 15 yrs ago. We had a carseat in the front and the hubs rode with the other 2 boys in the back.. after years the motor was getting tired throwing blue smoke. We thought we had a it rebuilt last summer..wasted time and money and it never fired up at Big Bear last year..we asked club member Dale Conchlin for help..he put Parker to work and now I have a daily driver..my husband paid him by trading him a project buggy.. Dale has almost completed his offroad build since his red turbo buggy is street. Glad we kept it in the manx club family!

Laughlin yellow run was our 4th event but first time running the buggy..only popped an aircleaner once and overloaded the kads on washboard..had to get a push..but other than that she purred like a kitten..she is my daily driver, boys ride to school and such a treat to take all the neigjbors kids for rides..nothing like little screamers under 4 foot tall.. Faster, faster!

Lisa Lewis gifted me my birthday membership big bear 7-13-2012 and barb thompson took me on her extreme run John Burr black diamond trail in a hail storm..good times
neohic

Re:

Post by neohic »

I'm Ben. :D I'm currently in MN but my wife and I hope to be changing that over the next few years. Been playing around with VWs and Jeeps for years now and SOMETIMES I even finish a project or two.

Way back in 2004...

Currently...

... still needs everything. Pretty much just a rolling chassis but I've got high hopes. Other such fun stuff found HERE.