How Do You Keep Warm Driving Your Buggy???

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

How or by what method do you buggistas keep warm when driving in cold weather or during the winter???

Heaters, what kind???
Heated seats 12volt???
Blanket wrapped around you???
Heated blanket 12 volt???
Ski outfit???
Snowmobile outfit???
Sleeping bag???
Five layers of clothes???
Or... ???

Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
Grumpy One

Post by Grumpy One »

Michael,

I find that a full top with side curtains is the best place to start.  Followed by layers of clothing, gloves or the mittens that open up to allow the fingers to be exposed.

The best would be a gas fueled heater like were available on the old air cooled beetles.

Joe
ManxRob

Post by ManxRob »

I put a Stewart Warner gas heater in my Manx. The Stewart Warner heaters were sold through VW dealerships. They are real simple in design, with a coil spring thermistat for temperature control, a fan dedicated to moving the spent exhaust out of the cabin, and a warm air distribution fan. They were available in either 6 or 12 volt. The model sold for the bus had a higher heat output rating. Stewart Warner also made a version (with different mounting brackets) for Terra-Buggy:
Image.
I have never seen a Terra-Buggy version, but I liked the mounting location under the dash, so that’s where I installed mine.

Here is the (working) 12 volt heater, sourced from Craigslist for $125.

I modified the mountings so everything could be removed/serviced under the dash without removing the hood:

This is the setup prior to setting the hood/dash:

And the complete install, The fiber wrapped tube in the passenger footwell is the heater exhaust. The heater fan/temperature control is between the key and speedo:

Like Joe says, “a full top with side curtains is the best place to start”, to contain the warmth. 

Rob
MyBlueBuggy

Post by MyBlueBuggy »