dont steal my buggy

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
moondoggy200

dont steal my buggy

Post by moondoggy200 »

Hello I just got off of a web page on Samba that showed all the Buggys reasentle STOLEN it make me sick to think some puck takeing my Buggy its one of a kind I have put in 3000 hours into it and love driving it around does anybody have some anti theaft ideias to prevent pucks from takeing my buggy. thanks for yor help how "about a inline fuel cutoff in the fuel line??????
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

We have travelled extensively with Kathleen's manxter and had to leave it in many hotel/motel parking lots overnight. We have several layers of security. We have a master disconect (hidden) which kills all the electrical power. We have a locking Gene Berg shifter (locks in reverse). We have wheel locks and run a cable through the wheels and to a post, tree or sign if available. We cover the car, so without looking, they don't know what it is. We try to park as close as possible to the office, so the overnight crew can see the car, and we ask them to keep an eye on it. We tried an alarm that goes off when the car is moved and sent the signal to a remote, but it wouldn't work correctly, we are still working on this. Thanks to GotManx below - I forgot to mention that we have the later model bug steering colum, and we turn the wheels and lock it with the front end facing the curb, so you need a flatbed to take it away. If theives show up with a flat bed and drag it up, before we get the proper alarm, that would probably be the only way to get it. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

I too like the battery disconnect and the locking shifter. The later locking steering columns are nice. You can also get a quick disconnect for the steering wheel. I think all you can do is make it harder for someone to take, but like Tom said, these are small cars that are easy for someone to drag off regardless.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Years ago I fitted an electric fuel pump to one of my old buggies,, it was armed by a separate switch under the dash. About a month after I sold the buggy, the new owner phoned to say that someone had tried to steal it,,, they broke into the guys garage and managed to fire it up with the fuel that was in the carbs, they got just a few yards along the road when it cut out, the scum then run off. The buggy guy phoned the next day and thanked me for putting the pump on a separate switch and said without it, he would never have seen that buggy again..... I know that a USA guy in the Manx club had part of his buggy stolen years ago,,, what they took was all the running gear,, they cut the tub off a couple of inches up from the floor pans and left the body behind. Bruce Meyers made a new mounting flange for the body tub and glassed it in place and the guy got new running gear for it.. I cant think of the guys name, it was someone I met on the 97 or 8 Manx Club Baja trip, but I remember him saying that he reckoned that the guys must have loaded it on a pick up truck.... I think a gun rigged up under the dash, in a way that would blow the thieves balls off would be my ideal,, but knowing my luck I'd forget about it one day LOL!
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

[QUOTE="Tom Kathleen;16206"]We have travelled extensively with Kathleen's manxter and had to leave it in many hotel/motel parking lots overnight. We have several layers of security. We have a master disconect (hidden) which kills all the electrical power. We have a locking Gene Berg shifter (locks in reverse). We have wheel locks and run a cable through the wheels and to a post, tree or sign if available. We cover the car, so without looking, they don't know what it is. We try to park as close as possible to the office, so the overnight crew can see the car, and we ask them to keep an eye on it. We tried an alarm that goes off when the car is moved and sent the signal to a remote, but it wouldn't work correctly, we are still working on this. Thanks to GotManx below - I forgot to mention that we have the later model bug steering colum, and we turn the wheels and lock it with the front end facing the curb, so you need a flatbed to take it away. If theives show up with a flat bed and drag it up, before we get the proper alarm, that would probably be the only way to get it. Tom[/QUOTE] Good lord! I think you buggy is more secure than fort knox! I just have an alarm system that not only has your typical shock sensor but it has a visual motion sensor to so if you reach into the cab it goes off. It also disables the igntion switch when it's on so you can't hotwire the car at the key and good luck to any thief who tries to figure out the rest of the custom wiring job I did!