Disc Brakes

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gary1719

Disc Brakes

Post by Gary1719 »

Okay on the disc brakes i have been looking at from different sources. i thought about blanks so i could have the pattern drilled that i want. but what i dont know is on these can you install the studs from behind a press fit like most cars. Or are they screwed in. if so what keeps they there.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The studs on blank rotors can be screwed or pressed in, it is determined by the type of studs that you purchase. One warning - VW rotors are set up for 4 bolts so most of them have 4 webs for those 4 bolts. That requires extra machine work so the rotor maintains balance when unequal material is removed while studing for 5 bolts. I have installed 5 studs in many sets of CB rotors. The AC brand rotors have extra thick back sides with no webs, if I remember correctly, so they are easier to 5 stud. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Gary1719

Rotors

Post by Gary1719 »

Tom that is something i needed to know. I noticed that CB offered blanks along with others. some people you talk to at these places dont know squat.How do i know that because i dont know squat. And they cannot answer my questions .They just want to sell you any thing. Standard answer is have a machine shop do it. Im in the midwest not really any that know what i am talking about .The only ones with some brains were the guys from airkewld, but i wasnt really wanting to spend that much on brakes. I want a chevy pattern that ads a twist for some. rotors slotted or drilled. Also i would like to use press in studs. How do i determine two things how long of studs do i use and i want a standard thread not metric. So what kind of thread pattern would i look for. I dont know how exactly screw in studs stay in place. Wont they back out when you remove the lug nut? If i find a machine shop and i want to use a chevy 5x4 3/4 pattern what exactly do the numbers stand for. What does it tell them for drilling purposes. Gary
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

You should be able to find press in SAE studs at any parts house. The type of wheel and nut that will be used will determine the size of stud and thread. The Chevy 5x4? bolt pattern refers to the number of studs (5) and the diameter of the imaginary circle (4?) where the studs are located. edit... I found an interesting little site that explains a bit of this... Link...
ManxRob

Post by ManxRob »

Thanks Tom. That's a great wheel/tire resource site!
Dan B.

Post by Dan B. »

Thats a real neat site Tom! Lots of info there I had wondered about. Thanks!
Gary1719

disc brakes

Post by Gary1719 »

Thanks for the help Guy'S
jlredman

Post by jlredman »

I used Airkewld with the Chevy bolt pattern. They can get you everything you need. And you don't have to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
Gary1719

Airkewld

Post by Gary1719 »

DId you use there Drop spindles by chance. And did there product meet your expectations.