One Year, Three Thousand Miles Later?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
TMc2548

One Year, Three Thousand Miles Later?

Post by TMc2548 »

The Buggy turned 3,000 miles recently. It also happens that I have kept record of fuel consumption for the past 12 months. 2,388 total miles driven since April 4, 2008. 145 gallons of gas purchased. This averages out to about 16.47 miles per gallon. Not horrible fuel economy by any stretch but the last year has been a learning experience. I?ve had to adjust my driving habits quite a bit. The buggy is fun, an absolute blast to drive. There are times I find myself not content to just putter around town. It really is hard to keep my foot off the gas pedal. So what have I learned in the last year? Well, for fuel economy and good performance, if you have dual carburetors they need to be fully functioning to run all four cylinders. Also they need to be synced properly. Driving over 65 mph during a 100+ degree day will cause the engine to run a tad warm. Slowing down to 55mph to 60mph allows the engine to run cooler and smoother. It seems that?s the engine?s sweet spot for freeway travel. Around town the buggy gets 14mpg to about 15.5 mpg. Driving the freeway I?ve been able to get 21.5mpg It?s pretty darned cold at 7am in December. 29 degrees can really put a chill in your bones. Warming up the buggy is critical. It doesn?t like getting out of bed at 7am in December when the temperature is 29 degrees. The buggy is a dependable daily driver. If you run out of gas, make sure you are close to home. Especially if you?re on your own. My buggy?s fuel tank holds an astonishing 9.9 gallons. Kids of all ages love buggies. I get smiles, waves, yells, and comments of all types when out and about. My neighbor?s two year old twins run to their bedroom window to watch me leave in the morning after I start the buggy to warm it up. The buggy is never finished. Even if the money runs out there is always something to add, change, or improve. This is why my signature reads ?One incomplete blue buggy.? Driving the buggy around town isn?t enough. You must enjoy it with fellow buggy enthusiasts. I?ll see you folks at Clear Lake.
Montana-Manx

Post by Montana-Manx »

I have found the same thing on HWY speed. 61MPH and above the buggy runs hot durring summer temps. But 55-60 it runs great. As to MPG I just keep filling it with 91 octane, change oil and adjust valves.