Buggy of the month

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I don't agree with David... I'd think this forum could be the "Go To" for the "Fiberglass Buggy World" after all it is the "MANX CLUB" ... WE build it they will come. Mark Bryant
Sorry if I sounded overly pesimistic; this club always used to be THE #1 Buggy Forum until it went members only and I dearly wish it still was. It really saddens me how quiet it is now but I hope it can rise again...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[quote="jboyton;13455"]If you guys are having a hard time getting 5 entries every month to continue our BOTM. Don't make it a competition. Just put up one buggy a month. That's 12 a year. I do not believe you couldn't get 12 paid members who wouldn't love to have their buggy featured on our web site for one month. Why not start with you lowest membership number, e-mail them and ask for some great shots of their FDB. Everyone wants to see how everybody else has built or is currently building their buggy. We need to reinvent this site.[/quote] I'd like to jump on the "Jon bandwagon". If it's just a "Featured Buggy" then all of us (that are still members) and didn't win a BOTM in the past, could be considered as a "Featured Buggy". I know for me, I've done a lot of work on my buggy since 2 years ago when it was a candidate (and a loser) that I'd love to show off again. As some have suggested, open it up for non-paying members too. The Ausie's are doing that on their site. They have a combo of open and restricted areas. I know we buggy people love to show our stuff (kind of like baby pictures). You provide a place to do that and people will come. I've got a new digital camera and I'm ready to take some pictures :-) That's my 2.5 cents from the east coast (not as far east as David). Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
croakintowd

I Found Two Cents And I'd Like To Spend 'Em Here!

Post by croakintowd »

I remember when this was the go-to site for buggy info and ideas. It wasn't all that long ago. When the club went "private", the folks who were drawn here for those ideas and info went elsewhere. The folks who were closed out still needed ideas and info, so folks gravitated to other free sites. Having said that, it might be necessary to have something to draw folks back to this site. Perhaps as the buggy pix are submitted, each could be featured with a few pix and a short build story. Then after a few months or weeks, the featured buggies could be entered into a "Buggy of the Month" contest. It might be a way to get folks to gather here again, and stretch out the time between votes. Just a way to generate some interesting reason to come here again. I guess it's sort of the "Milk before Meat" approach. Said another way, If this site was populated with more people, the problem of not having enough numbers would go away. So, let's draw some people in! I don't really know what it would take, but I'd support anything that had that end in mind. I guess I spent 3 cents..... C-Ya
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

[QUOTE="madmanx;13466"]I'd like to jump on the "Jon bandwagon".[/QUOTE] I guess technically I'm on the Jon Bandwagen too. I think the idea of a feature buggy would be great. It should also be available in the public section of the site for all to see. The feature buggy wouldn't even need to be a completed buggy, some of the projects out there are very interesting. At least with the feature buggy, it would give others something new to look foward to on the site.
Montana-Manx

Open

Post by Montana-Manx »

open the forums back up Just register to use it.
manxfwin

Bom

Post by manxfwin »

I agree,open the site back up to anyone interested in buggies,require a registration.Then you might have enough to participate in a BOTM.Nothing was accomplished by making it private,most of the buggy owners have moved on to other forums.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

The Board of Directors is keeping and eye on this thread, so keep coming up with ideas, so we can give the members what they want. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Rapid63

Buugy on the month

Post by Rapid63 »

Great idea have members send in pictures of buggy's they have and post couple to site in buggy of month , Not to be voted on just for information
Montana-Manx

Post by Montana-Manx »

Problem again is members only. Do we really want to limit our site? again thats when the site lost all the great information and great picts of buggies.
bkelly

bring back buggy of the mouth.

Post by bkelly »

i would like to see some new builds .for buggy of the mouth.for I m on a new build that if all goes well will be in the running.
Jon

Buggy Of The Month?

Post by Jon »

What's going on with this idea. This idea started back in March and nothing has been decided. How hard is it to make a decision! The idea is so simple. Either "Paid up members submit photos and a short bio. You guys pick one for the month" or "You start at the top of the membership roster and invite each member to show or not show their buggy" Then you post it on our site. Seems like a no brainer......
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

[QUOTE="Montana Manx;13531"]Problem again is members only. Do we really want to limit our site? again thats when the site lost all the great information and great picts of buggies.[/QUOTE] Montana Manx, If we opened up the forums to non members, we would open our website up to daily spam and unwanted post. Also, since you pay $30 a year for your membership, quarterly newsletter, and access to the forums, how would the club justify that $30 fee if we gave away something the club members are paying for. If they want access, become a member. Bob Hunter
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

[QUOTE="jboyton;13754"]What's going on with this idea. This idea started back in March and nothing has been decided. How hard is it to make a decision! The idea is so simple. Either "Paid up members submit photos and a short bio. You guys pick one for the month" or "You start at the top of the membership roster and invite each member to show or not show their buggy" Then you post it on our site. Seems like a no brainer...... [/QUOTE] Jboyton, I am working on this issue. Please give me some time. Bob Hunter
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

[quote="Buggybob;13756"]Montana Manx, If we opened up the forums to non members, we would open our website up to daily spam and unwanted post. Also, since you pay $30 a year for your membership, quarterly newsletter, and access to the forums, how would the club justify that $30 fee if we gave away something the club members are paying for. If they want access, become a member. Bob Hunter[/quote] Bob, I don't believe there is any disputing the fact that traffic on this site dropped off a cliff when the forum went "members only". Although I am not privy to the information regarding how many paying members there were prior to the switch, it appeared that the paying members (I was one of them) were sustaining at least the cost for the web site. No? I don't recall any threads where the paying members were having problems with non-paying members posting to the forum. Regarding the unwanted spam and posts, isn't there a moderator on the forum already. I know it's a pain, but it can be managed. Requiring registration in order to access the forum would be one way to filter out spammers (require a valid email address to receive your login credentials). Lastly, value for your membership $$ can still be achieved by having a member's only section and the receipt of the newsletter. As an east coast member, I'm not getting a great value today for my $30. Assuming 4 newsletters a year that's $7.50 each. I can't reasonably participate in the outings on the west coast, so I don't get much there. The only other thing I get for my membership is access to the DB brain trust in the forum (and that's what is lacking today). Reality is that most of the club members actually interact more on the free forums than here (some use different nick names, but it's pretty easy to determine who they are). Since this club is supposed to represent the membership, might I suggest that a vote/poll be taken to find out what the membership wants or would like to do? I know by posting this I risk being flamed (it's happen on this forum and the free ones), but as a paying member I would like to express my opinion on ways to improve the club. Thanks, Bud
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

I always thought that part last year's changes to the running of the club was going to be part of the forums going public again. I'm pretty much in the same boat as Bud being a 'distance' member, and I too remember fondly when this forum used to really 'rock'!!! It really saddens me now when it can go for days without a single new post. Surely there must be a way to compromise and breath some life back into things, Forum, BOTM et al. I'm just off to put my 'Big Boys' Nomex pants on...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)