transaxle trouble spots - clips, spring

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
63Fiberbuggy

transaxle trouble spots - clips, spring

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

Continuing from a different thread, I got the '63 transaxle out & '67 installed; but I can't get the throwout bearing clips installed & having trouble getting big spring on cross-bar (just outside bellhousing). Clips are new (heavy duty), cross-bar is new (has "holes" vs. "notch" like my '63). TO bearing is type w/out slide/sleeve. What's the secret tip to these? I've spent at least an hour & several busted knuckles....
63Fiberbuggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

update...I got the TO bearing clips on...whew! The big spring is another story, keeps slipping & flying out of my hand. Need a tip from someone who knows it well. I'm trying to start with straight part of spring in its final position, then forcing spring coil w/arm off, then slip onto shaft...obviously, not the right way???
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

It's been awhile, but I think I've done it the other way. Hook the spring on the arm and then slide it in and pry the other end up and onto the flat spot on the tranny.
63Fiberbuggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

FINALLY!!! I got it on. Shear will/determination....hope I don't need to do that again soon. Thanks for advice.