input shaft seal (stuck)

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
63Fiberbuggy

input shaft seal (stuck)

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

I'm sure this question's been asked/answered many times. Any tricks of the trade to removing a stuck transaxle input shaft seal? I picked up a seal removal tool (Advance) with nice hooks to grab inside near shaft, but can't seem to get it loose. This '67 transaxle was in the junk yard since early '70s; original seal. Thanks. Bill
BuggyBob

Post by BuggyBob »

Bill, since the seal is no good and made of rubber, I use a flat tip screw driver and a mallet. Just drive the screwdiver into the face of the seal and it should pry out. Becareful not to damage the seal housing
manxfwin

Post by manxfwin »

I used a similiar tool from Harbor Freight,once you figure out the correct angle of the tool it will remove the seal.The tool was junk when I finished but that was to be expected.As was mentioned, DON'T gouge or mar the surface of the tranny where the seal mounts,don't worry about the condition of the old seal.It's easier to remove the old seal if you can keep it in one piece.
Carltons

Post by Carltons »

I used a dent puller (slide hammer). Screwed it in to the cover (in between the shaft and the housing facing aft) and a couple of slides. Move and repeat. Just tdont screw it in too far.
63Fiberbuggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

Hey thanks guys! I ended up using a 3/8" stainless rod (~18" long), ground the tip to slight hook & drove it into the seal near input shaft. Presto, instant seal removal. The picture below tells "the rest of the story", pulled engine & '63 transaxle Friday; put '67 transaxle in today. Got a couple of issues to work out, but hope to get engine back in tomorrow. I'll post a separate thread to ask about my problem spots. Thanks. Bill Image