e brake question

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
tat99

e brake question

Post by tat99 »

i was going to put in a chrome e brake handle on my buggy. it still has the original one , do you have to grind the head off of the pivit pin and punch it out and replace it with a bolt ? or is there some thing i am not seeing on getting the old one removed? thanks for any help
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

There is a very fine wire circlip on each end of the pivot pin. Once you remove the clip you should be able to tap the pin out.
Jon

CHEAP chrome e-brake handle

Post by Jon »

I was going to do the same and found that that chrome lever would bind up everywhere, both in up and in the down postion... even used the OEM guts and it still would'nt work, threw it out and put the old one back in. Back to your question! There is a small ring clips on either side of the pin, pop them off and the pin slides right out, at least that's the setup on my stock brake handle.
tat99

Post by tat99 »

after cleaning off some more rust and crud you guys where right on, found the clips and worked it out. was the troublesome chrome handle a jc whitney version.? thats what i was going to buy. does every supplier sell the same thing. thanks for your help
markmark

Post by markmark »

Why don't you get the original lever chromed? The original VW bits tend to work better usually.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I had the same issues with my chrome lever. I'm sure all the chrome levers regardless of the vendor, are made by the same group of 8 year old kids in China.