Gas Tank Support Brackets

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

Gas Tank Support Brackets

Post by Gene-C »

Its been a while since I removed the front support brackets that go underneath the buggy's front end that supports the stock gas tank and its hold down clips. What I dont remember is how they mount to the front end. It looks like they just drop over the two threaded mounts. Do they bolt down or not. I can take pictures to clarify what im talking about if needed.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

They shouldn't really 'drop over' the threaded mounts, just bolt to them with two 10mm (ie 17mm head) bolts. The drilled hole on the bracket should be 3/8" or 10mm.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

One end has a oval hole with 9mm X 20mm diameter. aprox. and the other end has a hole 15 mm in diameter. It looks in test fitting that the bracket is almost not long enough. Maybe after bolting it down I will see it all works out.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Mine's just got a 10mm hole in each end.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
Lee

Post by Lee »

newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

When I worked on this Manx for a local couple I fabricated this mount because the person that originally assemblled this Manx decided it didn't need the supports under the gas tank. Image The 2 nuts welded on the lower piece of angle have been bored out to fit over the threaded bosses on the front beam. A bolt with a flat and lock washers hold it tight to the beam. You may have noticed that it is made off center. This was done to allow me to use the exsisting fuel tank mounting bolts. The person that originally built this buggy didn't or couldn't read directions or a ruler. Image This is what it looks like when installed. You can see a small stress crack in the fiberglass due to the buggy being driven with no support under the fuel tank.