oil cooler ?

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Gene-C

oil cooler ?

Post by Gene-C »

will a transmission cooler work as a oil cooler?
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

I was wondering if a oil cooler from a custom Harley my buddy just built would work. It sure looks sweet Second item from the top!! :drool: http://www.tejasthumpcycles.com/Parts/Oil_Coolers/Harley_Oil_Coolers.htm
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

It all depends on what size fittings it takes. If you can use at least 1/2in hose it will be OK. Anything smaller and it is to restrictive and will not allow enough volume of oil to flow.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

It does look nice but I would bet you can buy a conventional oil cooler for 1/4 the money and it would be 2 to 3 times more efficient.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

your right (duh) hehehe I bought a nice 96 plate cooler for 75 bucks C-Dub
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

normal oil coolers really aren't that expensive. I've seen several for around $50 I would personally recommend getting the proper part for the job. You could probably get a frig heat exchanger to work but it wouldn't work as well. Also where do you plan on mounting it? Some people think it's ok to mount it over the fan whole. This is a big no-no! If you think about it all that does is restrict the air flow over the motor and it heats the that air. So oil cooler causing less hot air flow as you can imagine is very bad. Sorry if i got on a soap box there. i've just blone a motor because the PO did that. To make it worse it was a race quality 1914.:x:cry: