Engine Compatibility

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
63Fiberbuggy

Engine Compatibility

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

In searching for a 1600DP to replace my 1200, I've come across several Porsche engines {924, 911, 914, RUF} - - - but, I have no idea if any models/years are compatible with a '63 VW. Does any one have a definitive list or name of any reference literature? I've also come across ads for VW Rabbit engines. Are these even an option?
joemama

Post by joemama »

Anything can be made to work. However, why would you want to? Rabbit and 924 are watercooled, need a radiatoer, fan, etc. 911 is 6 cylinder air cooled, 914 is basically a type 4 volkswagen, probably the easiest to adapt. All of these are going to be way more expensive, require additional modifications to the rest of your running gear and buggy. Type 1, bug engines, are plentiful, inexpensive, reliable, easy to upgrade for performance, easy to work on. and they are made to work with what you already have. Find a 1600 dual port, and go from there. The 1600 will have a 200mm flywheel, disc, and pressure plate, this will fit your transaxle after you clearance it for the larger flywheel. If your car is still 6 volt, you will need to convert to 12 volt. The 6 volt starter from your 1200 will work on 12 volts for a while, or you will need to switch the bushing in the transaxle that the starter shaft rides in, to convert to a 12 volt starter. The rest of the car will also need to be converted to 12 volts, all the wires and switches will work fine, just switch all bulbs for 12 volts,get a voltage reducer for the wiper motor. Your horn will be loud. All of this is very commonplace and the parts readily availabe and cheap. Any VW parts store will have everything you need.
63Fiberbuggy

Post by 63Fiberbuggy »

Thank you for clearing it up for me. I had no idea what was in store with the Porsche engines. As for the 1600's, in my area (SC) I have found very few available and mostly "junk". That's why I wanted to explore the Porsche options. Guess it's back to the trader magazines and checking in with my auto salvage dealers each month....
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

I saved a couple of posts from http://www.thesamba.com that have very good pictures of a conversion from 1200 to 1600 and all that is involved ( starter bushings, clearancing the transaxle). Can post them if anyone wants to see them. I will be doing that at some time in future.
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

Bill I still have that spare that I told you about. It would need a carb since I sold it to madmanx.
fubar

Post by fubar »

I would go with a 911/914 if you could get the transaxle with the motor in working condition. I am pretty sure you would end up with a 5 speed, 4 gear spyder, and a way better engine. I think an air cooled 6cyl porche with dual tripple webbers in a light glass car would give most v-8's a run for the money. If you could get traction, keep the front end down, and not blow up the transaxle. Or you can spend $8,000 on a type one to get reliable power and still have a fragile trans... You could also look for a wrecked bus. One with major front end damage so you know it was going fast at the time of impact.....The only weak link is the bus trailing arms, but they can be boxed in with pretty low technology.
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

Here is a friend's buggy with a Porsche engine.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

[QUOTE="fubar"]I would go with a 911/914 if you could get the transaxle with the motor in working condition. I am pretty sure you would end up with a 5 speed, 4 gear spyder, and a way better engine. I think an air cooled 6cyl porche with dual tripple webbers in a light glass car would give most v-8's a run for the money. If you could get traction, keep the front end down, and not blow up the transaxle. Or you can spend $8,000 on a type one to get reliable power and still have a fragile trans... You could also look for a wrecked bus. One with major front end damage so you know it was going fast at the time of impact.....The only weak link is the bus trailing arms, but they can be boxed in with pretty low technology.[/QUOTE] The installation of the Porsche 5 speed gearbox into a type 1 chassis is a major chore. If the Porsche engine needs anything, prepare to shell out big bucks. I suggest leaving the Porsche parts to the Porsche people. As far as giving most V-8's a run for their money....My dual Webered 1914 in my Manx gets 26mpg on the highway is very driveable and has run a 12.51 in the 1/4 mile on street tires with a relatively stock 65 type 1 swing axle trans. I have less then $3000 bucks in the engine...all new parts except the carbs. The buggy spends alot of time in the dunes and this Summer I put over 4000 street miles on it with no problems. Image
joemama

Post by joemama »

A fair number of people find a stock 1600 to have good power in a fiberglass buggy that weighs probably about 800lbs less than the bug it was intended to power, that engine in stock trim puts out about 57 hp, with bolt on items you can raise that to about 75, maybe 90 to 100 with bigger barrels. This would still be a reliable, fairly inexpensive engine. Perhaps not a v8 beater, but it would certainly feel peppy in a buggy. The stock transaxle can handle this, and beefed up transaxles can be had for less than 750.00. I agree that if you are looking for much more than this kind of power, it would be time to think about an engine swap, it might be cheaper, and more reliable. I am perfectly happy with what I think is in the above range. It is in perfect character with what I expect out of my buggy.
fubar

Post by fubar »

My sand buggy has a worn out 2300cc pinto and a 5 rib bus trans . I have shatered the pinion bearing and have sheared stock axels. I used to run bug cv's outboard but they would blow in a heart beat. I have not had an all out cv ( balls in the sand ) failure after switching the stub axels to run bus cv's on the swing arm end. I cannot imagine a type one transaxle holding up with less than $2,000 put into it. I drive it pretty hard to keep up with my friends in there high dollar efi and turbo cars. But I am too cheap to spend more on a transaxel than the buggy cost. As far as spending $3,000 on a motor? If I had the money it might be an option, but more likely being a cheapskate I would buy the wrecked van.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Tim, That sure looks like a VW engine in that buggy. Doesn't look like any 356,911,912,or 914 engine I have seen.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I'll have to second that. Of course I'm no Porsche expert though, or VW for that matter. :laugh1: I believe the exhaust comes out of the bottom of the Porsche heads.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

A 356 Porsche engine is very similar to a VW engine. The easy visual differences are rectangular exhuast ports, generator stand at an angle, 3 piece block, different shape valve covers & different sheet metal. That picture is too small to really see this stuff. Don't forget about the buggy that had the 4 cam Carrera engine that would be worth $50,00 + now. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

This buggy lives in British Columbia, was bought in New Mexico and has been through Mexico to Honduras. George told me it was a Porsche engine but I can't tell the difference. I'll leave that up to the experts.